View Single Post
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Lelola Offline
I've been here a while

Points: 11,504, Level: 15 Points: 11,504, Level: 15 Points: 11,504, Level: 15

Re: Some college questions? - September 30th 2013, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terabithia. View Post
[font="Garamond"][color="SeaGreen"][size="3"][b]Hi all!

So, my first question is this: A college I was looking at, Massachusetts College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences, has a program where you can get both your Bachelor's and Master's degree in five years. Is a program like that actually good, since you'd be getting them both at the same time like that where most times you'd have to reapply and I'd assume go longer? So, will a program like that teach me all I need to know?
That is only good if you really know what you want to do right off the bat. I would also research and see if you have to be accepted into the college of pharmacy. A lot of health majors have it where you are "pre-pharmacy" for 2 years and then you apply again to get accepted into the major based on your grades and fufilling pre-reqs. You are not guaranteed admission 90% of the time. This is how nursing does it.

I think they are great programs but only if you know 100% into the program. I am getting an associate degree, skipping the bachelors degree and entering an RN to MSN program where I will get the masters degree.
Quote:
That same college, I was looking at their admission requirements. They want the SAT/ACT scores and your high school transcripts of course. But, I couldn't find a requirement of what the actual scores/GPA they accept is for undergraduates. Can anyone help me with that?
It probably varies each year. Figure for pharmacy it is high or else they do a pre-pharmacy where you are not in the program yet. It may also depend on the quality of applicants that they get.

Quote:
Also, that same college is out of state. My dad made the point that I really do want to stay home. But, if that whole five-year degree thing is credible, I think it'd be a good deal. If I DO get in and DO decide to go, how would I cope with living out of state?
It will be an adjustment. Basically, keep yourself busy and meet as many new people as you can. It helps with loneliness.

Quote:
I'm thinking of emailing admissions, would it be better to call? The college gave two numbers for admissions so I'm assuming it wouldn't matter which I called? Because collegeboard didn't have any information about SAT, ACT, or GPA, saying the college didn't report scores or didn't have specific requirements.
It is usually better to visit the college website and request an information packet or to email them.
Quote:
But what I'd also be scared with is adjusting. I'm REALLY close to my family and it seems scary to not be able to see them every week, at least. I was thinking about joining clubs, but if the course is that accelerated it may be hard and I don't want to overload myself. Outside of a mediated setting like clubs though I'm VERY unlikely to talk to people though because it makes me nervous, at events I've been to even in high school I tend to sit alone because I'm too scared to approach people. So I'm scared I'll be lonely or depressed, with no friends or at the very least no family.
It may be difficult for you then. I'd find two or three clubs to get involved in at least.