TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Ennui. Offline
Living the dream.

TeenHelp Superstar

Name: Dez
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 172,473, Level: 59 Points: 172,473, Level: 59 Points: 172,473, Level: 59

Some college questions? - September 29th 2013, 11:38 PM

Hi all!

So, my first question is this: A college I was looking at, Massachusetts College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences, has a program where you can get both your Bachelor's and Master's degree in five years. Is a program like that actually good, since you'd be getting them both at the same time like that where most times you'd have to reapply and I'd assume go longer? So, will a program like that teach me all I need to know?

That same college, I was looking at their admission requirements. They want the SAT/ACT scores and your high school transcripts of course. But, I couldn't find a requirement of what the actual scores/GPA they accept is for undergraduates. Can anyone help me with that?

Also, that same college is out of state. My dad made the point that I really do want to stay home. But, if that whole five-year degree thing is credible, I think it'd be a good deal. If I DO get in and DO decide to go, how would I cope with living out of state?

I may have more questions, but I'll add those if I think of them.

Do you ever get a little bit tired of life
Like you're not really happy but you don't wanna die
Like you're hanging by a thread but you gotta survive
'Cause you gotta survive
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Not_here Offline
I can't get enough

Name: nobody

Points: 37,084, Level: 27 Points: 37,084, Level: 27 Points: 37,084, Level: 27

Re: Some college questions? - September 30th 2013, 12:54 AM

I've heard of such programs, in fact there's something like that in my school for certain majors. The thing with that it's accelerated as you might've figured out. So while it's probably credible, it's also likely to be competitive and intensive...but if that's what you want, go for it!

Not sure how to find out what they want for a GPA...but I don't think schools really say. I could be wrong though. It does depend if it's a selective school, and how much they consider it. Schools have different priorities of what they see as important. You can find that information on collegeboard, under the school name's profile. It'll say what is "very important", "important" and "considered" for their school.

As for going out of state school, are you talking about adapting to the environment? I'm in a school in the same city I live in, so it's a bit different with me. But I do remember reading tips from these books. They said things like when doing your laundry, don't leave it there. Stay until it's done because if you wait too long, it can get lost or stolen. Also taking showers and doing laundry at odd hours so it's less crowded. Hmm, there's the freshman 15, where freshman tend to gain 15 pounds, so just make sure you're eating healthy and exercising. Join clubs and try to meet new people. I don't know what else. I don't want to bore you with a rant
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Philomath Offline
Love is > your mistakes
I can't get enough

Name: Christina
Pronouns: she/they

Points: 29,768, Level: 24 Points: 29,768, Level: 24 Points: 29,768, Level: 24

Re: Some college questions? - September 30th 2013, 02:20 AM

Hey Dez,

I do not go to school out-of-state, however, I am far enough from home that it is like being out-of-state so I am going to give some input.
I have heard of programs like this: though my school is not one that offer them. They are credible if you can do all of the work because they are usually accellerated. In college, you will be having a new experience and in this experience, you will realize that you have to balance academics, extra curricular activities and any other commitments. You will need to find time for you (and let go of any goals to be perfect because trust me, meeting those goals is extremely hard with everything you will probably want to do). These are all things to keep in mind when deciding to do such a program.
Definitely call someone at the admissions office of your school, or email admissions and ask for the information you want about the ACT and SAT scores and the average GPA. Keep in mind that is "average" so if it is not what you have, do not worry: people below and above the average can get into a school; admission is not just about academics. Colleges want to see you as a wholen, not just an academic.
If you end up choosing this school, look at the demographics of the shcool and definitely visit it: you want to be sure that the size of the campus, the population and the classes is a fit for you. If the school has large classes and you feel better in smaller classes with more professor-student interaction than this may not be the school for you. Would you want a school that is large to the point wher eyou have to go from multiple places within campus by walking long distances or a school that small where you can get everywhere within five or less minutes? Do you want to be with thousands of students or a few hundred and a little over a thousand students?
Also, if doing laundry, definitely be sure to set a timer and get to your clothes when the timer goes off (I try to set mine a minute or two before my clothes are done that way I am able to get there before any person waiting for them to finish). People can and will if they are in a hurry, take clothes out of the washer and set them down wet (usually on the table in the laundry room or on top of the washer) and then if the clothes are not claimed there can be consequences. If clothes are taken out that are dry and left after a certain time, for example, they will be taken by the resident staff on duty at about 11 (this is for my school and I'm unsure if other school's have such requirements). Then you have to pay two dollars to get them back.
There are other things but if you want, I can PM you (I just do not want to make this overly long).

"i don't care your intentions. I just want you to know my self-hatred never took me where I wanted to go. At the end of the day...I can pick at the pain but I can't cut it away."
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Ennui. Offline
Living the dream.

TeenHelp Superstar

Points: 172,473, Level: 59 Points: 172,473, Level: 59 Points: 172,473, Level: 59

Re: Some college questions? - September 30th 2013, 02:35 AM

Thanks for all the help! I do have to learn to take care of myself a bit better, I haven't done laundry a day in my life, don't cook..

I'm thinking of emailing admissions, would it be better to call? The college gave two numbers for admissions so I'm assuming it wouldn't matter which I called? Because collegeboard didn't have any information about SAT, ACT, or GPA, saying the college didn't report scores or didn't have specific requirements.

But what I'd also be scared with is adjusting. I'm REALLY close to my family and it seems scary to not be able to see them every week, at least. I was thinking about joining clubs, but if the course is that accelerated it may be hard and I don't want to overload myself. Outside of a mediated setting like clubs though I'm VERY unlikely to talk to people though because it makes me nervous, at events I've been to even in high school I tend to sit alone because I'm too scared to approach people. So I'm scared I'll be lonely or depressed, with no friends or at the very least no family.

'Cause you gotta survive
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Philomath Offline
Love is > your mistakes
I can't get enough

Name: Christina
Pronouns: she/they

Points: 29,768, Level: 24 Points: 29,768, Level: 24 Points: 29,768, Level: 24

Re: Some college questions? - September 30th 2013, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terabithia. View Post
Thanks for all the help! I do have to learn to take care of myself a bit better, I haven't done laundry a day in my life, don't cook..

I'm thinking of emailing admissions, would it be better to call? The college gave two numbers for admissions so I'm assuming it wouldn't matter which I called? Because collegeboard didn't have any information about SAT, ACT, or GPA, saying the college didn't report scores or didn't have specific requirements.

But what I'd also be scared with is adjusting. I'm REALLY close to my family and it seems scary to not be able to see them every week, at least. I was thinking about joining clubs, but if the course is that accelerated it may be hard and I don't want to overload myself. Outside of a mediated setting like clubs though I'm VERY unlikely to talk to people though because it makes me nervous, at events I've been to even in high school I tend to sit alone because I'm too scared to approach people. So I'm scared I'll be lonely or depressed, with no friends or at the very least no family.

In terms of laundry, if you do not know how to use the washers, someone can show you. Some people that have done laundry before do not always know how to use the college washers because they can be different than washers at home (only take certain types of detergent etc.) But laundry is not difficult once you do it. It really is easy, just keep track of time with it so you keep all of your clothes.
And about cooking, most colleges with dorms have meal plans so technically, you may not have to cook for your first or second year (or for my school both because all Freshman and Sophomores are required to be on the "all access" plan (basically we get all meals from our meal plan)).
It does not really matter if you call or email; either way you will get an answer. I say contact them however you prefer but stepping out of what is most comfortable for you may be helpful if you are up to it.
You will not be alone in having this feeling. Just about every other freshman will feel the same way about going to college. It will be new for everyone and take advantage of this. Join a club your first semester (of something you enjoy doing) and that is a great way to meet new people. The only way to get past feeling nervous around other people is to integrate yourself with them, to do things with them, start talking to them and getting to know them.
It is scary when you are in a place where you do not know anyone but other freshman will be in the same place as you so keep that in mind: you will not be the only awkward feeling person.
Plus, if you are really worried about this and unsure what to do and want help, all colleges have counseling of some form whether that is a few sessions a semester or weekly sessions, it is okay to use that resource for advice (and if you want, you do not have to let anyone know). My school's office is really helpful. They contact by email so no one knows I even go their except a few close friends.
Hope this helps and that this process goes well for you!

"i don't care your intentions. I just want you to know my self-hatred never took me where I wanted to go. At the end of the day...I can pick at the pain but I can't cut it away."
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Lelola Offline
I've been here a while

Points: 11,504, Level: 15 Points: 11,504, Level: 15 Points: 11,504, Level: 15

Re: Some college questions? - September 30th 2013, 08:18 PM

Quote:
[font="Garamond"][color="SeaGreen"][size="3"][b]Hi all!

So, my first question is this: A college I was looking at, Massachusetts College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences, has a program where you can get both your Bachelor's and Master's degree in five years. Is a program like that actually good, since you'd be getting them both at the same time like that where most times you'd have to reapply and I'd assume go longer? So, will a program like that teach me all I need to know?
That is only good if you really know what you want to do right off the bat. I would also research and see if you have to be accepted into the college of pharmacy. A lot of health majors have it where you are "pre-pharmacy" for 2 years and then you apply again to get accepted into the major based on your grades and fufilling pre-reqs. You are not guaranteed admission 90% of the time. This is how nursing does it.

I think they are great programs but only if you know 100% into the program. I am getting an associate degree, skipping the bachelors degree and entering an RN to MSN program where I will get the masters degree.
Quote:
That same college, I was looking at their admission requirements. They want the SAT/ACT scores and your high school transcripts of course. But, I couldn't find a requirement of what the actual scores/GPA they accept is for undergraduates. Can anyone help me with that?
It probably varies each year. Figure for pharmacy it is high or else they do a pre-pharmacy where you are not in the program yet. It may also depend on the quality of applicants that they get.

Quote:
Also, that same college is out of state. My dad made the point that I really do want to stay home. But, if that whole five-year degree thing is credible, I think it'd be a good deal. If I DO get in and DO decide to go, how would I cope with living out of state?
It will be an adjustment. Basically, keep yourself busy and meet as many new people as you can. It helps with loneliness.

Quote:
It is usually better to visit the college website and request an information packet or to email them.
Quote:
It may be difficult for you then. I'd find two or three clubs to get involved in at least.
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Ennui. Offline
Living the dream.

TeenHelp Superstar

Re: Some college questions? - October 1st 2013, 08:43 PM

You all helped greatly. If a college essay thing just says "write a personal essay" I'm assuming it can be about something meaningful ie. why you want the degree you want? The only essay topic they gave was the honors college essay topic and I'm certainly not applying for that.

Also, in another college, my degree program is brand new this year, so where the application says to select the major I want, it isn't there. Should I just hit "undeclared" or should I call the school about it?

'Cause you gotta survive
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Lelola Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Some college questions? - October 1st 2013, 10:54 PM

Quote:
You all helped greatly. If a college essay thing just says "write a personal essay" I'm assuming it can be about something meaningful ie. why you want the degree you want? The only essay topic they gave was the honors college essay topic and I'm certainly not applying for that.

Usually there is a theme. When I applied to school, one theme was write about what period of time you would want to visit and another was what was the greatest invention. I wrote that I would love to go visit the White House when Andrew Jackson was sworn in and the 2nd one I wrote about a toaster. There may be a topic in the actual application. If not, then I would email them and ensure that there are no topics. Usually the schools do require some sort of topic to make sure you are writing a unique essay for them unless they did the general application.
Quote:
Also, in another college, my degree program is brand new this year, so where the application says to select the major I want, it isn't there. Should I just hit "undeclared" or should I call the school about it?
I would email them about it to ensure that they are accepting applications for it. If it is the bachelors and masters program, it may be under pre-pharmacy.
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
Ennui. Offline
Living the dream.

TeenHelp Superstar

Re: Some college questions? - October 1st 2013, 11:50 PM

Actually, I found it!

Quote:
Please complete a brief biographical statement (500 words or less). Be sure to include your name and mailing address on the essay and include your essay with your application for admission. Note: Not required of transfer applicants. This your chance to tell us something special about yourself — something we might otherwise never know. Why, for example, are you choosing a particular academic major? Or what achievement in your past academic life means the most to you?
Which is perfect because my Common App essay is centered around this too. So I can use the same one. This one's for Southern Connecticut State University.

The one that doesn't have my major listed isn't the Bachelor's/Master's one, it's another Connecticut school, University of Saint Joseph. I toured it on Sunday and they were all excited to know they have someone interested in the program and I think the department head said she'd hoped to see me in the fall, so I'll have to call.

'Cause you gotta survive
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
Lelola Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Some college questions? - October 2nd 2013, 01:16 AM

I'd email them because it is usually easier for them to give you the proper response instead of calling. When I deal with the college, I get the proper information from email because there is a paper trail. With the few times I've called, I can sometimes get ridiculous answers I know that are not true. Usually there is a general admissions email.
Closed Thread