Love is > your mistakes
I can't get enough

Name: Christina
Pronouns: she/they

Points: 29,768, Level: 24 Points: 29,768, Level: 24 Points: 29,768, Level: 24

Re: Some college questions? - September 30th 2013, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terabithia. View Post
Thanks for all the help! I do have to learn to take care of myself a bit better, I haven't done laundry a day in my life, don't cook..

I'm thinking of emailing admissions, would it be better to call? The college gave two numbers for admissions so I'm assuming it wouldn't matter which I called? Because collegeboard didn't have any information about SAT, ACT, or GPA, saying the college didn't report scores or didn't have specific requirements.

But what I'd also be scared with is adjusting. I'm REALLY close to my family and it seems scary to not be able to see them every week, at least. I was thinking about joining clubs, but if the course is that accelerated it may be hard and I don't want to overload myself. Outside of a mediated setting like clubs though I'm VERY unlikely to talk to people though because it makes me nervous, at events I've been to even in high school I tend to sit alone because I'm too scared to approach people. So I'm scared I'll be lonely or depressed, with no friends or at the very least no family.

In terms of laundry, if you do not know how to use the washers, someone can show you. Some people that have done laundry before do not always know how to use the college washers because they can be different than washers at home (only take certain types of detergent etc.) But laundry is not difficult once you do it. It really is easy, just keep track of time with it so you keep all of your clothes.
And about cooking, most colleges with dorms have meal plans so technically, you may not have to cook for your first or second year (or for my school both because all Freshman and Sophomores are required to be on the "all access" plan (basically we get all meals from our meal plan)).
It does not really matter if you call or email; either way you will get an answer. I say contact them however you prefer but stepping out of what is most comfortable for you may be helpful if you are up to it.
You will not be alone in having this feeling. Just about every other freshman will feel the same way about going to college. It will be new for everyone and take advantage of this. Join a club your first semester (of something you enjoy doing) and that is a great way to meet new people. The only way to get past feeling nervous around other people is to integrate yourself with them, to do things with them, start talking to them and getting to know them.
It is scary when you are in a place where you do not know anyone but other freshman will be in the same place as you so keep that in mind: you will not be the only awkward feeling person.
Plus, if you are really worried about this and unsure what to do and want help, all colleges have counseling of some form whether that is a few sessions a semester or weekly sessions, it is okay to use that resource for advice (and if you want, you do not have to let anyone know). My school's office is really helpful. They contact by email so no one knows I even go their except a few close friends.
Hope this helps and that this process goes well for you!

"i don't care your intentions. I just want you to know my self-hatred never took me where I wanted to go. At the end of the day...I can pick at the pain but I can't cut it away."