View Single Post
  (#15 (permalink)) Old
Snufkin Offline
XO
I've been here a while

Name: Scott

Points: 27,101, Level: 23 Points: 27,101, Level: 23 Points: 27,101, Level: 23

Re: Colorado School shooting, on eve of anniversary. - December 15th 2013, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorrieUSMC View Post

Would you rather have a shootout inside a school between a good guy with a gun vs a bad guy with a gun, or a bad guy with a gun having his free reign?

There is nothing wrong with having an armed trained Law Enforcement Officer, security, or even a Concealed carry license inside a school. Why? Because they are trained to have the weapon.

You say that with banning weapons in the United Kingdom, you don't have to worry about shootings, sure we'll go with that. You have a incredible lower murder rate with firearms then the United States.

But, how many of those Firearm deaths in the United States are from Law Abiding Citizens? Through purchased legal guns?

When I worked EMS in a city, (Not New York City, just a random city in New York State.) A Kid was arrested for having a fire arm, and I asked how he acquired such a firearm that clearly a 14 Year Old should not be able to get, his answer? Just go to any street alley in the City with $100-$200 and you can get a firearm like that, no serial number, etc.

Yet, the Violent Crime rate in the UK is greater than, the United States.
(Source: http://stevengoddard.wordpress.com/2...r-than-the-us/ )

Now, while the United States has a higher Homicide involving a gun rate, then the UK, How many of those Homicides are committed by illegally purchased firearms? How many of them are senseless gang bang hits over stupid shit? A lot...

Again, if you where a victim in a violent crime what would you rather do? Be a victim or protect yourself.

You're afraid of an inanimate object. Something that doesn't feel, doesn't set out to kill or hurt anything, it is just a tool, the same as back before Firearms with swords & daggers. It is never the tool that should be the blame, but the Person.

We fight the evil behind the tool, we can end senseless violence. Or we can keep saying "Let's ban guns" and it will solve nothing.
Between having a shootout inside a school or a bad guy with a gun having free reign I would eliminate the potential for a gun as we have and it has worked.

I haven't bothered to Google to check your source this time, but there was a debate on here before that covered the term "violent crime" meaning very different things in the US than in the UK, so some things we consider under that term would not be considered such in the US, which can throw doubt at those figures. I do also acknowledge that "gun death" rates in the US can be taken into account over things such as suicide which, if for lack of a gun, would have happened through some other means, so it's important to look at homicide and murder rates rather than gun death rates.

I believe we have a large problem with knife crime, and I would agree that we can't exactly ban knives. I suppose I see guns in a different way though, since unless you start throwing knives around, their potential to cause widespread damage is limited compared to a firearm.

I'm not afraid of guns because they don't play a part in every day life here. Damn right I'd be afraid of them if they did. A killer is probably gonna kill any way they can, but a gun sure as hell makes their job a lot easier and enables them to cause panic, fear, and a greater amount of destruction.

As for people with weapons inside a school, you'll never convince me that's a good idea. I don't care how trained they are - the image it sends young kids that we need people patrolling schools with guns is horrifying. I can't imagine growing up in that environment and I don't care for it.

2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.