View Single Post
  (#1 (permalink)) Old
terminallyCapricious Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 7,662, Level: 12 Points: 7,662, Level: 12 Points: 7,662, Level: 12

Told my parents - Am I being selfish to be disappointed? - December 28th 2013, 07:03 AM

Over Christmas break I told my parents I had a boyfriend. This is my first boyfriend I've ever had (until now I've only ever dated girls). They've known for a while I liked both boys and girls, and have never been hateful or angry about it - they just clearly wish I'd stick to women, and try to tell me how bad of an idea it is to date or sleep with other guys. We still have a good relationship, and I know they want what's best for me, even if they're wrong about what that is.

Their response to finding out I was dating a guy was the same as always. They're clearly not super happy about it, but they said they respected by choice. They told me they didn't want to hear any details (a stark contrast to the eager request for information about various girlfriends). They didn't even want to know his name. My dad told me all about how most people would think less of me if they found out, and then felt the need to call me on the phone later that day to tell me that if I ever was with a woman in the future, most women wouldn't want to date someone who had had "gay sex."

As silly as it all was, I can't help but feel disappointed by their response. It could be so much worse, I know. Friends have been disowned, kicked out of their houses, cut off financially, and worse, all for something tiny like this. My parents still love me and we're still on great terms. Why do I feel let down by this? Am I being selfish to want their acceptance of this?

I just want my parents to respect who I choose to love. If I brought my boyfriend home to meet them, they'd be reluctant to even let me bring him. My mom's told me before she wouldn't want me bringing a boy home.