TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 7,662, Level: 12 Points: 7,662, Level: 12 Points: 7,662, Level: 12

Told my parents - Am I being selfish to be disappointed? - December 28th 2013, 07:03 AM

Over Christmas break I told my parents I had a boyfriend. This is my first boyfriend I've ever had (until now I've only ever dated girls). They've known for a while I liked both boys and girls, and have never been hateful or angry about it - they just clearly wish I'd stick to women, and try to tell me how bad of an idea it is to date or sleep with other guys. We still have a good relationship, and I know they want what's best for me, even if they're wrong about what that is.

Their response to finding out I was dating a guy was the same as always. They're clearly not super happy about it, but they said they respected by choice. They told me they didn't want to hear any details (a stark contrast to the eager request for information about various girlfriends). They didn't even want to know his name. My dad told me all about how most people would think less of me if they found out, and then felt the need to call me on the phone later that day to tell me that if I ever was with a woman in the future, most women wouldn't want to date someone who had had "gay sex."

As silly as it all was, I can't help but feel disappointed by their response. It could be so much worse, I know. Friends have been disowned, kicked out of their houses, cut off financially, and worse, all for something tiny like this. My parents still love me and we're still on great terms. Why do I feel let down by this? Am I being selfish to want their acceptance of this?

I just want my parents to respect who I choose to love. If I brought my boyfriend home to meet them, they'd be reluctant to even let me bring him. My mom's told me before she wouldn't want me bringing a boy home.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
TakeMeHigher Offline
captain average
Not a n00b

Name: Lucy

Points: 9,395, Level: 14 Points: 9,395, Level: 14 Points: 9,395, Level: 14

Re: Told my parents - Am I being selfish to be disappointed? - December 28th 2013, 08:34 AM

I'm really sorry they have reacted in that way. It is good they are accepting, to a degree, but they also seem very ignorant.
Please don't believe them, it's not a bad idea at all and if you did date women in the future, the one's who care, don't matter. There isn't much chance of them caring who you've slept with in the past seeing as our generation is growing up to be much more accepting and tolerant than the last.

The truth is, they may become more accepting and begin to respect your choices, but they may not. They're obviously in denial, so it may pass.

Just act normal, mention your boyfriend's name when you're telling you're parents things 'im going to cinema with ....' ect... if you act normally about it, they will hopefully do the same.... in time.

Just accept it will take time. They seem open enough to do so, eventually.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Ennui. Offline
Living the dream.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 172,204, Level: 59 Points: 172,204, Level: 59 Points: 172,204, Level: 59

Re: Told my parents - Am I being selfish to be disappointed? - December 28th 2013, 08:37 PM

You're not selfish at all for wanting your family to respect who you are dating, or at least to give them a chance and actually meeting them before judging them. It may be that they don't fully understand what it means to be in the LGBT+ community, or what you are going through.

I couldn't have said it any better than TakeMeHigher. If you date a girl in the future, the ones that truly care about you will respect your sexuality and realize that you are with HER, not with a guy, and that you love HER.

You shouldn't have to walk on eggshells around them, though. You have every right to be with this guy and have fun with him, and I agree about acting normally.

You're not wrong to be selfish, though. Even though they still love you and haven't done anything catastrophic, you still deserve their support!

-Dez

Do you ever get a little bit tired of life
Like you're not really happy but you don't wanna die
Like you're hanging by a thread but you gotta survive
'Cause you gotta survive
Closed Thread