View Single Post
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Snufkin Offline
XO
I've been here a while

Name: Scott

Points: 27,101, Level: 23 Points: 27,101, Level: 23 Points: 27,101, Level: 23

Re: Rape Victims and the lyrics of Robin Thicke's 'Blurred Lines' - January 4th 2014, 12:43 AM

I do take issue with the lyrics, but as with any written words, interpretations happen so I respect and understand Dave's view of the song as much as I acknowledge those who find it utterly deplorable.

Thicke's defence of the song was what bothered me. I'm not a woman, I'm not female, so I can't claim to have the same reaction to the lyrics as women might and have done (despite finding them horrific anyway), but Thicke saying that it's a misogynistic song, and that that's okay because he's a married man is totally stupid. He said something along the lines of "what a pleasure it is to degrade women!" because he's doing it as someone who is not single, and that the men in the video are mostly middle aged and married. Easy enough to Google this if you'd like to double check. Like you can't be offensive or sexist or misogynistic or promote rape culture once you're middle aged and have a ring on your finger.