View Single Post
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Lelola Offline
I've been here a while

Points: 11,504, Level: 15 Points: 11,504, Level: 15 Points: 11,504, Level: 15

Re: Period Pain + Sickness (Female only read please) - January 10th 2014, 09:31 AM

When you say painkillers, what type and what are they prescribed for? There are many different types of "painkillers" and some of them will be the wrong type. Usually they recommend something like ibuprofen over tylenol-based products (like vicodin).

Ultimately, I recommend seeing if there is a gynecological practice in your area. There are some free/church clinics that will have women services if you call ahead to make an appointment so they can get a NP, CNM, or a doctor there. Just to get it checked out and rule out other health conditions that can affect fertility down the line. If possible, I would even tell them it has been going on for seven years and that it is horrible pain.

I would also consider asking about birth control for pain if you do not have any objection to it. When I was in high school, birth control really helped with pain (my mom also had horrible periods when she was younger and was mad that my grandmother never considered getting her on the pill). Some pills work better than others because there was one brand that increased the pain.

What fears do you have about the pill messing up your body? Most people do not have any major side effects although that will be better discussed with the prescriber. Some may have weight gain and some have weight loss. It does not cause cancer or infertility.

IUD is a copper or hormonal device that they implant in the uterus. Some providers prefer you to have a baby before they will insert one. The hormonal IUD can have similar effects to the pill. Both have risks.