TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Sex and Puberty For questions related to sex, puberty, birth control and sexual health, ask here!

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
2Snowflake2 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 6,421, Level: 11 Points: 6,421, Level: 11 Points: 6,421, Level: 11

Period Pain + Sickness (Female only read please) - January 9th 2014, 07:49 PM

Ok, so today I started my period and I've had the worse period pain ever.

I woke up early with the pain but luckily I managed to go back to sleep. Woke up again and I was fine, just a bit of pain. However an hour later the pain got worse to the point where I couldn't stand up, my legs ached, it was awful. I took painkillers as they normally work, however today as soon as I took one, it came back up, which worsened the pain. I then tried to eat, took one bite and it came back up. I can't even seem to hold a bit of water down. Whenever I'm sick the pain in my stomach gets worse. It's terrible I can't move, as soon as I get up from lying down my temperature hits the roof and I'm running to the bathroom to be sick. At the moment the pain has thankfully gone.

I had always had such terrible pain, aching legs since I started my period from the age of 13. Since the age of about 20 when I've had bad pain, in the morning I was sick just from the amount of pain I'm feeling, then throughout the day the pain goes, with a little help from the pain killers. My mum say's that it's like morning sickness, I suppose she right, but why am I sick?

Why am I sick because of period pain? I kind of know the answer myself, it's because the pain is so bad that the body thinks there is something in my tummy causing the pain so I throw up. Obviously this isn't the reason why I'm in so much pain, it's because I'm on my period.

Is there anyway to stop the pain and/or the sickness? I'm 22 now today I had to take the day of work because of this. I need this to stop, I shouldn't be lying in bed with pain and aching legs. Luckily I'm still living with my mum so she has been giving me water etc. If I'm on my own I'm stuck. Fight the pain everyone is saying, but when I get up, I'm sick, then I'm in more pain. It's ridiculous.

My mum said it's because I so thin, I don't eat enough, I have no strength when I'm in pain. Big people get pain too.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Skeleton Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Charlie

Points: 41,800, Level: 29 Points: 41,800, Level: 29 Points: 41,800, Level: 29

Re: Period Pain + Sickness (Female only read please) - January 9th 2014, 08:37 PM

I used to have bad periods pains and I'd end up throwing up so I went to the doctors because of it and they recommended the pill, so I went on that for a while, then I had the implant (although it messed my periods around) so maybe a trip to the doctors might be a good idea? Not necessarily to be put onto the pill but they might be able to offer you something that will help you.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
2Snowflake2 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Period Pain + Sickness (Female only read please) - January 9th 2014, 09:08 PM

I've been thinking about going to the doctors. I don't want to go on the pill because it messing up with your body.
The Implant, can your remind me of what it does?
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Lelola Offline
I've been here a while

Points: 11,504, Level: 15 Points: 11,504, Level: 15 Points: 11,504, Level: 15

Re: Period Pain + Sickness (Female only read please) - January 10th 2014, 09:31 AM

When you say painkillers, what type and what are they prescribed for? There are many different types of "painkillers" and some of them will be the wrong type. Usually they recommend something like ibuprofen over tylenol-based products (like vicodin).

Ultimately, I recommend seeing if there is a gynecological practice in your area. There are some free/church clinics that will have women services if you call ahead to make an appointment so they can get a NP, CNM, or a doctor there. Just to get it checked out and rule out other health conditions that can affect fertility down the line. If possible, I would even tell them it has been going on for seven years and that it is horrible pain.

I would also consider asking about birth control for pain if you do not have any objection to it. When I was in high school, birth control really helped with pain (my mom also had horrible periods when she was younger and was mad that my grandmother never considered getting her on the pill). Some pills work better than others because there was one brand that increased the pain.

What fears do you have about the pill messing up your body? Most people do not have any major side effects although that will be better discussed with the prescriber. Some may have weight gain and some have weight loss. It does not cause cancer or infertility.

IUD is a copper or hormonal device that they implant in the uterus. Some providers prefer you to have a baby before they will insert one. The hormonal IUD can have similar effects to the pill. Both have risks.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
2Snowflake2 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Period Pain + Sickness (Female only read please) - January 10th 2014, 07:49 PM

The pain Killers that I used are for period pain as well as headaches, sore throats etc. The ones I get are from Tesco. They are cheap but they work better then some others that I have tried which where expensive.

Pill give you side effects. I knew someone who was on the pill, one minute they where depressed, next minute they where happy. They make you put on weight (Which for me wouldn't be a bad thing)
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
CaptainCastle Offline
Should I call you Captain?
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Ry

Points: 13,546, Level: 16 Points: 13,546, Level: 16 Points: 13,546, Level: 16

Re: Period Pain + Sickness (Female only read please) - January 10th 2014, 10:42 PM

When I went to the doctors for period pain the first thing they tried giving me was a pain killer called mefenamic acid, it is specifically for period pain and I found it worked far better than any over the counter drugs. I was then later put on the pill, and I agree some pills can cause side affects like weight gain. The first one I was on I gained a lot of weight, but I changed to a different one and it is far better. I found the new one was better at decreasing my pain levels as well. I would definitely say the pill helps with the pain, it also means you're in control of when your period is and you can pretty much know the exact day you will start once your body adjusts to it.

PM/VM me anytime

Joined TH 24/06/05
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Stay determined
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Cara

Points: 71,033, Level: 38 Points: 71,033, Level: 38 Points: 71,033, Level: 38

Re: Period Pain + Sickness (Female only read please) - January 10th 2014, 11:38 PM

Hey there!

Sorry to hear that your periods are giving you some pretty nasty symptoms. If you haven't already you should check out this thread to see if any of these suggestions help to relieve the pain : http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f16-g...-period-pains/

If you're just using general painkillers you could try some of the ones specifically marketed towards period pains or even ask your doctor if you can be prescribed some stronger painkillers like co-codamol (codeine and paracetamol) for when it's that time of the month.

While it's true that the pill can cause side effects not everybody will experience these so even if your friend had a bad experience with it, it doesn't mean you will. I personally didn't experience any side effects when I was on the combined pill and I have the contraceptive implant now (it's a little hormonal rod that they put in your arm) and that's working great for me too. If you've tried everything else then it probably would be a good idea to at least try the pill for a few months and see how that helps, it's not like you have to stay on it forever if it gives you side effects you dislike.

I hope this helped, take care
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Lelola Offline
I've been here a while

Points: 11,504, Level: 15 Points: 11,504, Level: 15 Points: 11,504, Level: 15

Re: Period Pain + Sickness (Female only read please) - January 12th 2014, 10:33 AM

Some people may feel depressed on the pill but many people do not feel that way. Sometimes even changing the brand of pill will help. In fact, I had the opposite reaction when I went on the pill and I know other people who feel more stable on the pill. So one person's reaction does not mean that you will have the same or even similar reaction.

There are also different formulation of the hormones of pills. Some have only one hormone and others have different levels of hormones. So not all pills are the same.
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
Spiderpig Offline
Gone forever
Average Joe

Points: 7,354, Level: 12 Points: 7,354, Level: 12 Points: 7,354, Level: 12

Re: Period Pain + Sickness (Female only read please) - January 13th 2014, 04:15 PM

I strongly feel you should see your doctor, because he/she can give proper healthcare advice including effective pain management. If you're shy, bring a trusted friend to help give you courage, but doctors are well used to us girls seeing them for period distress and I am sure you will receive the help you so badly need.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
CrystalJade Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Points: 14,857, Level: 17 Points: 14,857, Level: 17 Points: 14,857, Level: 17

Re: Period Pain + Sickness (Female only read please) - January 15th 2014, 09:02 AM

I have terrible periods as well. You're are so sick because you're body is throwing up from the pain (it's a defense mechanism).

I recommend going to see a doctor and I highly recommend the pill. It's true that it can cause some side affects but you just go back to the doctor and tell them it's not working out for you and tell them why. I've switched up my birth control pill probably about 5 times since I started using it 3 years ago. I recommend the ones that give you one period every 3 months (it's what I use because it only lets you have the period pain 4 times a year instead of 12 and it's not nearly as painful).

Another thing that may help is a heating pad or bottle. Just try to relax and take it easy. Think about the pill or talk to a doctor about it. Good luck, I hope your pain starts to ease.
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
Usernames Suck Offline
Average Joe

Points: 6,558, Level: 11 Points: 6,558, Level: 11 Points: 6,558, Level: 11

Re: Period Pain + Sickness (Female only read please) - January 15th 2014, 11:15 AM

The sickness may be due to the pain, as pain can sometimes can cause nausea, especially if you're involuntarily contracting your abdominal muscles.

Seriously, SEE A DOCTOR. Don't even just consider it, do it as soon as you can. Period pain can be just that or it may be caused by a variety of things, especially if it's that severe, like endometriosis, ovarian cysts, etc.

Whatever the cause, it's best to get it figured out as soon as possible so that it can be managed or treated. Even if it's nothing life-threatening, you'll be sparing yourself lots of pain that is clearly interfering with your daily activities.

A doctor will be able to run the necessary tests and exams to figure out what's causing and what should be done about it.

As to the pill and your concerns about it: you don't have to take it if you feel uncomfortable. However, it might help you to know that there isn't only one type of pill. There are lots of different kinds, both contraceptive and non-contraceptive. A good doctor will be able to help you figure out which one is right for you based on your body and medical background, instead of prescribing at random. A good doctor will also let you voice your concerns and address them so you can make a better decision.

Side-effects don't happen for everyone. Which side-effects are possible depend on the type of pill and which ones actually happen depend on the individual person. This is why it's best to check with a doctor instead of trying to buy it over the counter.

It might take a while to find the right type for you. Your doctor can probably narrow it down to a few options. The first type you try is probably going to be fine. In the first few weeks you might experience some discomfort but it usually goes away. If not, you may have to check up on it with your doctor so that you can try another type instead. This may seem like a hassle but if it's effective in the long run, it'll be worth it.

As to the implant, it works similarly to the pill, by releasing hormones into your body to regulate your natural ones. If that makes you uncomfortable then it's not for you. However, just as pills are different between themselves, an implant may end up being the right fit for you. It also doesn't require you to take a pill every single day.
Closed Thread