View Single Post
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Ennui. Offline
Living the dream.

TeenHelp Superstar

Name: Dez
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 172,473, Level: 59 Points: 172,473, Level: 59 Points: 172,473, Level: 59

Re: should i tell my teacher I USED to self harm - January 18th 2014, 02:46 PM

Hey there,

First of all, congratulations on being 30 days clean! That's a huge accomplishment! I also want to say that it is amazing that you have a teacher who you can trust and that has been there for you! That's really amazing and I am glad you have someone like her around. I think that it would be okay to tell her, either through the form of a letter or by telling her verbally.

Maybe the next time you see her after class, you can ask if the two of you can talk in private. Then you can explain that you have been self harming for about three years but you are 30 days clean and you think those days are behind you (that's what I'm getting from you saying USED to self harm), but you feel as if you still would like the support around you since on some days it still gets hard. It can help you out a lot to be honest with her about what's going on so she knows how she can help, and maybe it would be useful to plan out what you are going to say to her, such as through writing an outline, so you make sure all your key points are gotten out.

Another option would be to tell her in a letter or email. Again you can get out the key points you want to say, such as some of the ones I suggested in the previous paragraph. If you want, you can also add details to this letter, explaining some of the key points a bit. Then, hand her the letter or deliver the email. You two will still probably end up discussing what is written, but at least you will have out your main points without nerves or interruptions getting in the way.

I think your best bet is to be honest with her about what's going on, though. That is how she will be able to give you the best support!

I just want to say that it takes loads of courage to go to someone about something like this, so you are doing really amazing for considering it. I hope that you do end up telling her and that she can become a really great support system for you while you continue your recovery. You can do this!

-Dez

Do you ever get a little bit tired of life
Like you're not really happy but you don't wanna die
Like you're hanging by a thread but you gotta survive
'Cause you gotta survive