View Single Post
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Chris Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Chris

Points: 27,759, Level: 24 Points: 27,759, Level: 24 Points: 27,759, Level: 24

Re: Parents unsupportive of my education - January 26th 2014, 06:03 PM

Hey there.

I think the bottom lines comes to the following: who has the say in the situation? Are your parents paying for your higher education (i.e., college)? Because if they are, they you don't really have much say in what you want to do. However if they aren't paying for college, then frankly, you can do whatever you want.

If your parents are paying your education, continue to negotiate with them, though I wouldn't be shocked if they don't give in.

If YOU are paying your education, here are a few ideas of what you can do. Are there any colleges that have campus housing? Meaning, is there a college in which you can live at? Like for me, I live on the college campus, and my 'real' home is 4 hours away, so it makes sense to live on campus. Do these colleges offer that? If not, have you looked into taking a loan to get a apartment/house near college? Have you looked into going to online school or atleast take online courses? Have you thought about going away to college (i.e., several hours away - 5+) so that you're forced to live on campus (and not to mention allow some room for breathing within the family)?

These are all pretty important things to think about. Ultimately this is YOUR life, and this is YOUR education. Do what you need to do to become a successful student, develop yourself as an individual, and prepare yourself for the upcoming future and job market, even if that means having to leave home (i.e., living on campus).

Best wishes,
Chris

"You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream.”
— Malala Yousafzai

Last edited by Chris; January 29th 2014 at 12:09 AM.