(#5 (permalink)) Old
Beautiful Disaster Offline
survivor. :)
I've been here a while

Name: Anna

Points: 15,864, Level: 18 Points: 15,864, Level: 18 Points: 15,864, Level: 18

Re: Doctor Saw My SH Cuts/Scars.. - May 4th 2014, 04:42 PM

Hey Alyss,

It depends what country you live in- in the UK doctors have confidentiality laws but from what I know/have experienced, they only tell your parents if you are in immediate danger of significant harm (ie about to kill yourself or someone is abusing you). I had my doctor and counsellor support me through a very rough patch when I was still under 18 and I was a suicidal risk most of the time and I overdosed a lot, but they knew I didn't want my parents to know and they stuck with that and 'managed' me between themselves, but if they ever spoke to each other they would tell me they were going to do it and tell me when they had.

As you didn't go to your doctor about the self harm, I don't think they will pass it on. I was in a netball tournament when I was 14ish and I had scars etc in most places that were all visible and a teacher from my school was there. I was panicking that she would report to the school and they would tell my parents but she didn't because she wasn't in her 'teacher' role. Slightly different scenario, but the doctor only found the scars by chance and I'm thinking that they will respect that and not go further with it.

Also, I would expect that he would have told you he had to tell someone before doing so - it's kinda courtesy. Did he ask about them? If not, he doesn't officially know what they are (even if it appears obvious) as he hasn't been told - his way of not having to tell anyone may be to not ask and therefore he doesn't know and so won't say? Does that make sense?

Sorry, I feel I've rambled a lot but I hope you've got some reassurance.

Take care.

You have to have the negative things in life
to be able to appreciate the positives.
TG 05/04/2013