TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
broken-lovely Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Alyss

Points: 5,980, Level: 11 Points: 5,980, Level: 11 Points: 5,980, Level: 11

Question Doctor Saw My SH Cuts/Scars.. - May 3rd 2014, 08:08 PM

Okay, so I've been pretty sick with this sore throat. I went to the doctor a few days ago, and the first thing he did was roll up one of my sleeves to take my pulse. Oh god no. I have cuts/scars on my left wrist, stomach, hips, and thighs, and of course the sleeve the doctor rolled up was my left one. I couldn't do anything, but I'm pretty sure he knew what the scars were. Then he said he had to press on my stomach for some reason. And I'm pretty sure that he knew all the scars and cuts on my stomach weren't by accident. He never mentioned anything about it, and I don't know if he told my mom. If doctors see your SH cuts/scars, do they have to tell your parents? Do you think he told my mom (who has no idea I SH, which is the way I want it)? I'm freaking out.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
hocus pocus Offline
Feline the love.

TeenHelp Addict

Pronouns: She/her

Points: 120,700, Level: 49 Points: 120,700, Level: 49 Points: 120,700, Level: 49

Re: Doctor Saw My SH Cuts/Scars.. - May 3rd 2014, 09:21 PM

Hey there!

The doctor's should tell your mom if you are under the age of eighteen or sometimes sixteen. However, not all doctors will do that even though they're supposed to. My doctor saw some of my scars and never said anything to my parents. With that being said, your doctor would be one person to reach out to if you ever decide that you want to reach out for help! Speaking to your mom or someone else that you trust will enable you to get the help that you deserve.

When you're feeling the need to harm yourself, try checking out the
alternatives thread! Feel free to send me a message if you'd like to talk.

If clarity's in death, then why won't this die?
Years of tearing down our banners, you and I
Living for the thrill of hitting you where it hurts
Give me back my girlhood, it was mine first

The axe forgets, but the tree remembers

Last edited by hocus pocus; May 4th 2014 at 12:45 AM.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
mskawrak98 Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Mo

Points: 6,902, Level: 12 Points: 6,902, Level: 12 Points: 6,902, Level: 12

Re: Doctor Saw My SH Cuts/Scars.. - May 3rd 2014, 09:27 PM

Hey

It depends on where you live. In the UK, if you are under the age of 16 I think that they have to tell your parents (although they don't always tell them). If you are over the age of 16, they treat you like an adult and they don't tell your parents.

When you feel like giving up, remember why you held on for so long in the first place.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Ennui. Offline
Living the dream.

TeenHelp Superstar

Name: Dez
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 172,560, Level: 59 Points: 172,560, Level: 59 Points: 172,560, Level: 59

Re: Doctor Saw My SH Cuts/Scars.. - May 4th 2014, 01:00 AM

Hi there,

The first time my doctor saw my scars, she did tell my parents. There's this thing in the United States, and it may be elsewhere as well, where people such as doctors, teachers, guidance counselors, etc, are mandatory reporters. This basically means that if they have reason to believe that you are at risk of harming yourself or other people, or at risk of someone harming you, they have to report it to keep you safe.

The second time my doctor saw my scars was recently, and there were more than when she last saw me, so she knew that I had continued cutting. I was able to get out of her telling my mom because I convinced her that my mom had seen all the scars when I had gone swimming during the summer. While my mom saw some, she definitely didn't see all of them like my doctor thinks.

Some doctors use their own discretion when it comes to reporting it. If they are convinced that you aren't going to be an immediate threat to yourself, they may not tell. Your doctor might not have told your mom anything, especially if she hasn't brought it up yet.

-Dez

Do you ever get a little bit tired of life
Like you're not really happy but you don't wanna die
Like you're hanging by a thread but you gotta survive
'Cause you gotta survive
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
survivor. :)
I've been here a while

Name: Anna

Points: 15,864, Level: 18 Points: 15,864, Level: 18 Points: 15,864, Level: 18

Re: Doctor Saw My SH Cuts/Scars.. - May 4th 2014, 04:42 PM

Hey Alyss,

It depends what country you live in- in the UK doctors have confidentiality laws but from what I know/have experienced, they only tell your parents if you are in immediate danger of significant harm (ie about to kill yourself or someone is abusing you). I had my doctor and counsellor support me through a very rough patch when I was still under 18 and I was a suicidal risk most of the time and I overdosed a lot, but they knew I didn't want my parents to know and they stuck with that and 'managed' me between themselves, but if they ever spoke to each other they would tell me they were going to do it and tell me when they had.

As you didn't go to your doctor about the self harm, I don't think they will pass it on. I was in a netball tournament when I was 14ish and I had scars etc in most places that were all visible and a teacher from my school was there. I was panicking that she would report to the school and they would tell my parents but she didn't because she wasn't in her 'teacher' role. Slightly different scenario, but the doctor only found the scars by chance and I'm thinking that they will respect that and not go further with it.

Also, I would expect that he would have told you he had to tell someone before doing so - it's kinda courtesy. Did he ask about them? If not, he doesn't officially know what they are (even if it appears obvious) as he hasn't been told - his way of not having to tell anyone may be to not ask and therefore he doesn't know and so won't say? Does that make sense?

Sorry, I feel I've rambled a lot but I hope you've got some reassurance.

Take care.

You have to have the negative things in life
to be able to appreciate the positives.
TG 05/04/2013
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
broken-lovely Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Alyss

Points: 5,980, Level: 11 Points: 5,980, Level: 11 Points: 5,980, Level: 11

Re: Doctor Saw My SH Cuts/Scars.. - May 4th 2014, 10:56 PM

Idyllic: Thank you! I don't think he told my mom, but he pulled her out into the hall for a few minutes, and I asked her what he said (it was something about the sore throat). Basically, I think she would've mentioned it if he had told her. But I am trying to quit, so I'm probably going to be on the Alternatives section lots. mskawrak98: Hey! Sadly, I'm fifteen.. So close! But I live in the US, so I'm not sure.
Merpop: thanks for informing me more on those I'm not sure where they exist, though. At school, the counselors there have to tell your parents and the police if you're doing something life-threatening. At the doctor's, I'm not sure if it's the same or different... Probably the same. Depending on what viewpoint you're at (at least from mine), I guess you're lucky your teacher didn't report that. I had a similar incident where in class, my sleeve had slid halfway down my arm and I freaked out. I don't think anyone noticed... Phew. He didn't ask about them, though, or really say anything. I thought he would, because where else would I have gotten marks all over my wrist and scabs on my stomach? But I suppose maybe he didn't know.
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Not a n00b

Name: Bree

Points: 8,471, Level: 13 Points: 8,471, Level: 13 Points: 8,471, Level: 13

Re: Doctor Saw My SH Cuts/Scars.. - May 18th 2014, 04:58 AM

I'm 15 and I went to the doc recently to get blood drawn and I have lots of scars, they never say anything.

If it is meant to be, it will be.
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Green Yoshi Offline
The screwdriverneedsgas!
I've been here a while

Name: carwithnogas

Points: 19,057, Level: 20 Points: 19,057, Level: 20 Points: 19,057, Level: 20

Re: Doctor Saw My SH Cuts/Scars.. - May 18th 2014, 10:55 AM

i dont think all doctors will tell... but i think that sometimes they will. but i reassure you, anything that happens out of it only happens because they care.

and just adding this on: if you feel the need to harm yourself again.. feel free to message me.. ill help out. i don't want to hear about you hurting yourself.. we care.

you deserve better. we're ready to help you do better.
Closed Thread