View Single Post
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Ennui. Offline
Living the dream.

TeenHelp Superstar

Name: Dez
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 172,543, Level: 59 Points: 172,543, Level: 59 Points: 172,543, Level: 59

Re: Doctor Saw My SH Cuts/Scars.. - May 4th 2014, 01:00 AM

Hi there,

The first time my doctor saw my scars, she did tell my parents. There's this thing in the United States, and it may be elsewhere as well, where people such as doctors, teachers, guidance counselors, etc, are mandatory reporters. This basically means that if they have reason to believe that you are at risk of harming yourself or other people, or at risk of someone harming you, they have to report it to keep you safe.

The second time my doctor saw my scars was recently, and there were more than when she last saw me, so she knew that I had continued cutting. I was able to get out of her telling my mom because I convinced her that my mom had seen all the scars when I had gone swimming during the summer. While my mom saw some, she definitely didn't see all of them like my doctor thinks.

Some doctors use their own discretion when it comes to reporting it. If they are convinced that you aren't going to be an immediate threat to yourself, they may not tell. Your doctor might not have told your mom anything, especially if she hasn't brought it up yet.

-Dez

Do you ever get a little bit tired of life
Like you're not really happy but you don't wanna die
Like you're hanging by a thread but you gotta survive
'Cause you gotta survive