TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
SilentBunny Offline
Formally Sn0man
Regular TeenHelper

Name: jake

Points: 15,637, Level: 18 Points: 15,637, Level: 18 Points: 15,637, Level: 18

Angry Started again and doctor - February 26th 2014, 05:12 AM

Ok so I was about 100 days clean then started cutting agaib , I just can't handle my family bitching at me nor my sister yelling and swearing and threatening to hit or beat me up. I don't think I will stop anytime soon as I enjoy the pain and the blood. (I enjoy drinking it, is that odd?)

I recently went to the doctor to accompany my mother and she told the doc about my SH and he agreed to take me on as a patient. I went today and it sucked! He was not helpful at all. He didn't ask to examine my SH or anything. Just asked if I was sad all the time and saw I was smiling and said I couldn't be depressed as I claimed. :/ Went on to say my problem was not my family or my sister verbally abusing me. No. It was that I had no job. And in the month til I see him again I should volunteer at places and try to get a job and then I will be fine. Also he offered me phsyciatry and counseling. I said maybe to the counselling.
Should I start seeing a new doc, this one seems to know nothing. Also would counselling be a good route to go?

(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
(")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Points: 33,948, Level: 26 Points: 33,948, Level: 26 Points: 33,948, Level: 26

Re: Started again and doctor - February 26th 2014, 05:38 AM

Hey Jacob, I'm sorry that all that happened to you, but you made it 100 days and that's AWESOME!

Based on what you've said here, I have to agree that this doctor has no idea what he's doing. My guess is that he's a medical doctor and he doesn't have the right training to deal with it or he's going by something your mother told him about what she thinks the problem is. Either way, he's going about it all wrong. He may be very good as a medical doctor, but don't feel like you're forced to stay a patient of his if you can't stand him.

Now, as a counselor in training I'll admit that I'm biased here, but I will never say that counseling is a bad idea. A new medical doctor might run you into the same problem and/or try to throw meds at you without a good evaluation. They can be a good place to start, but for psychological issues,a lot (not all) of them are not very good.

So, do I think counseling is a good idea, yes. It's your decision of course, but I would at least consider trying it a few times. You will get out what you put into it though and it will be work, but don't let that scare you off.

On a personal note, I just finally started going and I was terrified and resisted the idea for years even though I knew I needed it. Now I'm wondering what the heck took me so long! It's not always fun or easy, but it's SO worth it.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Ennui. Offline
Living the dream.

TeenHelp Superstar

Name: Dez
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 172,560, Level: 59 Points: 172,560, Level: 59 Points: 172,560, Level: 59

Re: Started again and doctor - February 26th 2014, 10:23 AM

I'm really sorry that you got a doctor like that. I do not agree with what this doctor said at all and really think that maybe you should start finding a new doctor if he is going to treat you like this and not believe what you are saying. It's not fair to you that he is automatically going to say that what you believe is the problem isn't, and to say that you're not really depressed just because you're smiling. That's really not right.

I'm liking the idea of counselling for you as well. They will have a whole lot more of a clue what they are doing and how they can help you, rather than a doctor. They are unbiased and won't automatically disregard what you are saying. That may be a better route for you.

As for the drinking blood question you mentioned up there, I don't find that odd either. I think I've seen others mention that before and there's nothing weird about it.

100 days was really amazing though and I know you can get back there again.

Do you ever get a little bit tired of life
Like you're not really happy but you don't wanna die
Like you're hanging by a thread but you gotta survive
'Cause you gotta survive
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Mahray Offline
Skittles Minion

Regular TeenHelper

Points: 9,959, Level: 14 Points: 9,959, Level: 14 Points: 9,959, Level: 14

Re: Started again and doctor - February 26th 2014, 12:00 PM

Just to throw my two cents in... ditch the doc. He doesn't know what he's on about, in this case. (Seriously, you can smile and be depressed. You can have a really good time and still be depressed. Grrrr.)

Counselling can also be really really useful. A lot of the time a mixed approach of counselling/therapy and certain drugs is what's needed. It won't hurt, anyway. Just... don't get it from this doc?

Feel free to email/PM/VM/whatever me if you want. I'll answer as soon as I can.

New blog - http://www.trueartisangsty.com/
Trying to keep it updated more or less daily as I write.
Closed Thread