(#4 (permalink)) Old
ThisWillDestroyYou Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Michael

Points: 16,327, Level: 18 Points: 16,327, Level: 18 Points: 16,327, Level: 18

Re: Few questions about religion. - May 15th 2014, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordioa18 View Post
So, about religion. First, is there any proof that there is a god? I don't see a god myself, so it kinda lost it's credibility here, but it can still happen. (Well, I'm an agnostic who is on the fence of christianity)
First of all, you're question is phrased in correctly, and it is important to point this out. What is wrong with it? The word "proof." Proof is something that is implied to be solely for an individual. When you ask, "Is there any proof that there is a god?" You are somewhat asking, "Is god provable to myself?" To which you answered your own question, "I don't see a god myself." What you are, in fact, asking (or, rather, should be asking) is: "Is there evidence that there is a god?"

This question then becomes very ambiguous. What is evidence? If you are asking for evidence in terms of scientific evidence, no there is none. The Christian Bible in 2 Corinthians 4 states that Christians are to focus on what is unseen because what is unseen is eternal, and god is eternal. Therefore, the modern definition of science cannot account for the existence of god, because he cannot be tested, he is not falsifiable, and he is not of this realm, according to the new testament.

If you are asking the question as to whether there is a god or not, that is, any god(s), the question, again, is about the same. Science can only examine what is available to us, meaning, whatever happened prior to the big bang are only hypothesis. Therefore, in a sense, the explanation of god prior to the big bang is perhaps just as rational as a hypothesis than anything else. Why? Because whatever reason we come up with, there will always need to be a causation for that reason, so why can't that reason be intelligent? In my years of wavering between atheism, agnosticism, and theism, I've discovered that you cannot claim anything beyond the big bang that is any more rational than anything else. And I could go into more depth into this, but I think if you legitimately think about it, you'll see what I mean.

The main quarrel I think I have with the idea of a god is this idea of infinitude. I know of nothing intelligent that is eternal, and because of that it is hard to come to terms with a belief in a deity. When it comes to organized religion, I just find that god(s) is/are typically hypocritical. In the New Testament god is described as a god of peace and love, but then in the end he is going to torture people for eternity. It doesn't make sense. The god of the Old Testament seems bi-polar to me. However, I am willing to admit that if there is a god, maybe I just don't understand him. There is a portion of me that wants to believe in something that is forgiving, loving, merciful, and just. However, at the same time, the idea is simply terrifying to me and so to get on with my life I have to reject those ideas.

I mean, it'd be great it god is forgiving, loving, merciful, and just, but then you have to think, when does that forgiveness end? When does that love end? Where does his mercy end? Is Hitler forgivable? Are molesters? Are murderers? God loves them, and will forgive them? To me that's where justice is desirable because they will be paid for what they did. However, justice is only desirable so long as it isn't used against you. For example, what does that mean for me? What about all those times I lied? I stole? I had an affair. I've hurt a lot of people. I am not forgiving, I am not generous, etc. So then will god forgive me? Where does his forgiveness end and begin? It wouldn't be just to just let me off the hook. And so I find the idea of god's nature contradicting. If he is unconditionally loving, forgiving, merciful, and just, those ideas are contradicting to my mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordioa18 View Post
Also, why do religious people think black and white about people that have other religions/no religion? If a god exsists, then the god should rate the people on good things/intentions themselves, not let 'holier than thou' christians that go to church and shit but don't have godly intentions/thoughts about it. It grinds my gears.
It's because Christian's believe that if you believe in Jesus that you are forgiven and that everything that Jesus did with good intentions was imputed into them, so that god now sees the Christian's as Jesus, and not as being sinful.

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."
- Carl Sagan