View Single Post
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Astrophile. Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Brittany

Points: 19,786, Level: 20 Points: 19,786, Level: 20 Points: 19,786, Level: 20

Re: Bipolar Depression - August 5th 2014, 03:40 PM

Hey,

I have bipolar so I'm hoping that I can help you in some way with my own experiences. First things first, I'm SO glad that you're actually wanting to seek help for your symptoms. I know that a lot of people, myself included, need a push to get help when needed. So good for you.

My father brought me to a counselor when I was fifteen, and I was diagnosed with severe depression, PTSD, and GAD (generalized anxiety disorder). The only reason why my father brought me was because I was hurting myself pretty intensely, and he got very worried. I went into counseling weekly, and I got on medication. It helped for a bit, but then I lost mental health treatment when I turned eighteen. I was on my own. I ended up moving away and coping with my symptoms by myself-- and it was very unhealthy. I found out when I was 20 years old (by being hospitalized) that I was misdiagnosed, and that I'm really bipolar. It took a toll on me, but after being put on the right medications and getting a new counselor, I started the road to recovery.

I suggest you go to see a counselor BEFORE it gets to the point where you're hurting yourself consistently-- I read that you're worried about what might happen, but bring it up to your parents that you are worried and see what they say. You deserve treatment. You deserve an accurate answer as to what is going on with you. I know it's scary, and that they might not agree at first, but your safety and mental health is what's really important. So, if they won't take you, take matters into your own hands and talk to another trusted adult. One that will help you get on the right path.

I understand how you feel, I really do. If you need someone to talk to, feel free to PM me. I'll help in any way I can.

There is no beauty without some strangeness.
-EAP-

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.