View Single Post
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Astrophile. Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Brittany

Points: 19,786, Level: 20 Points: 19,786, Level: 20 Points: 19,786, Level: 20

Re: Social Anxiety and Working...? - August 28th 2014, 12:55 AM

Hi there,

I've been in a similar situation as you. I got my first job when I was fifteen, and I bailed six months into it because I was diagnosed with generalized anxiety amongst other diagnoses. It's been hard for me to hold down jobs, but it's definitely possible. I think the longest I've kept a job was eight or nine months, but that's because I got laid off for being hospitalized.

I understand how difficult it is to hold down a job, but it's so worth it. Depending on the job, you can develop a sense of purpose or self-worth because you're making your own money and can pay for things by yourself. It's important to have those feelings. Have you ever thought about going to counseling/being on medication for your anxiety? I've found that both have helped me tremendously while I'm trying to establish a life for myself. I'm able to go to interviews and express who I am now that I'm working on things. Hopefully soon I'll have a job and I'll be able to accomplish things with little to no anxiety. I'm sure that you can get a job and do the same soon.

Maybe you could make a list of positive things about yourself (because employers will ask about your strengths and weaknesses). That way you'll be prepared to answer questions AND you'll feel confident going into the interview. Let employers know that you are a slow learner, but you're eager to learn the routine. They'll help you get adjusted and you'll pick it up in no time at all. You will be able to hold a job and control your anxiety. Take deep breaths, listen to calming music before an interview and/or shifts. Reward yourself for going through with it.

I'm sorry that I talked about me in this post, but I think reading about other people's experiences could be helpful... so I hope I helped in some way or another. If you have any questions/need to talk, feel free to message me.

There is no beauty without some strangeness.
-EAP-

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.