dr2005 Offline
Legal Beagle
I can't get enough

Name: Dave

Points: 19,936, Level: 20 Points: 19,936, Level: 20 Points: 19,936, Level: 20

Re: Cutting off old ties - September 17th 2014, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathon75 View Post
I'm still considering it, but as of right now, the very sight of Sarah stabs me with dread and depresses me. Perhaps more exposure, and closer will help; or maybe I'll just get filled with false hope again, or maybe I'm just exaggerating this whole time.
That's understandable. All the same, it's worth giving it time to see what happens. You never know with these things.

Quote:
I don't know about that. She is showing a LOT of favor to one of my friends; despite having nothing in common with him, and him being, to no offense, very annoying even to her. As I read in a previous forum post, maybe I'm just one of those "nasty, uninteresting" guys.
I wouldn't say that about yourself - for one thing, doing yourself down can often turn into a downwards spiral and it's not to be recommended. Aside from that, it may well be the case that she's acting like that to try and illicit a positive response, and so boost her own self-esteem. It would tally with the comments about her body image and so on.

Quote:
I doubt it will happen with them, they're much less, complicated, you could say, than Sarah. Whereas Sarah is emotional, has ulterior motives almost always, and is very mysterious, the Russians are easy to figure out and not complicated at all. And I also know what I'm doing this time.
Fair enough - at the same time, be careful both for their sake and yours. Pride goeth before destruction as they say.

Quote:
I certainly don't plan to do that again. That was said when I was naive and didn't quite understand relationships, their importance, sensitivity, etc
That's the key thing - ultimately life is a learning curve, particularly in the teenage years. The main thing is to learn from all of your experiences, good and bad, and use them to get a step closer to where you want to be in life.

Quote:
Thank you so much for taking the time to read and answer my post. I think, I'll just try slowly to rebuild a friendship and hopefully exposure will take away my attraction, and thus the dread of being around her.

For dating in general, at this point I don't mind not getting into a relationship, and for one, I don't really want to after this experience. It's too much of a hassle when I could be developing my writing skills or other hobbies. But I need to tie off this one last loose end before I can continue.
No problem. Sorry it's taken a while to reply, life in the real world has been rather hectic! I think that's the best approach to take - if things go well between you, then you may well find the loose end resolves itself and you can move forward. That tends to be how things have worked out in my own experience. Outside of that, with relationships in general it's best to let things take their course - you'll know when the time is right to take things further on that front.

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

However bleak things seem, however insurmountable the darkness appears, remember that you have worth and nothing can take that away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMFG!You'reActuallySmart! View Post
If you're referring to dr2005's response, it's not complex, however, he has a way with words .
RIP Nick