View Single Post
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Moyshi Offline
I've been here a while

Points: 17,431, Level: 19 Points: 17,431, Level: 19 Points: 17,431, Level: 19

Re: Dating your best friend - November 14th 2014, 04:11 PM

Hey there,

Dating your best friend can be a complicated situation to be in. First, both people have to be on the same page when it comes to how they feel for each other, and they also have to be willing to take a risk. Some people just don't want to take the risk in dating their best friend, having the relationship fail, and then ultimately lose someone who is so important to them.

I have been in a situation where I was very much head over heels for my best friend of many years. In this situation, I kept quiet about my feelings for years. There were a few times where I wanted to distance myself. At some point you either have to accept and come to terms with yourself that you will only just be friends with this person and you're okay with that, or you need to cut ties. I had a difficult time trying to cut ties with him because I knew it wasn't his fault that he didn't share the same feelings for me and I wasn't sure if it would be fair to just end my friendship with him because of that.

After years of a complicated situation, a lot of growing up, change, and a big leap of faith, we're now in a relationship. It wasn't easy transitioning from friends to something more, and there were a lot of mixed signals, fears, awkward moments, and being honest with each other, however we eventually figured it out and we were both at a place where we were ready to see where a relationship takes us. We're both glad we finally figured it all out.

I understand that this isn't always how it goes. And for a long time the feelings I had for him seemed unrequited. If things aren't going to work out, you have to find a way to move on from that, and I was able to put my feelings aside and just be his friend when he needed one. You deserve to be happy and if you're not someone who can put your feelings aside and the friendship is constantly making you miserable, that's when I think it's time to cut ties with someone.

Take care. :]

A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor.