Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly
Pronouns: She/Her

Points: 57,742, Level: 34 Points: 57,742, Level: 34 Points: 57,742, Level: 34

Re: Should I change my college course? - December 19th 2014, 08:18 PM

Hi Justin,

I think it might be a good idea to ask if you can change courses. It’s always worth asking and you have nothing to lose by asking. If you can change your course, then even though it may be awkward fitting in when term has already started, but it’s not impossible to make friends.

How often do you talk to Jordan? Perhaps you could try to spend more time with him, seeing as you get on well. You could also hang out with him and his friends, even though they smoke and you don’t. It won’t be awkward, many people don’t smoke and have friends who do. But if it bothers you, or affects your health, you can always say you are going inside the building or somewhere else. Also, if you did hang out with them, don’t let them pressure you into smoking if they ask why you don’t smoke. It can be hard approaching others but you could get Jordan to introduce you to them.

I understand that it can be difficult after having been bullied and used at school. However, not everyone will bully or take advantage of you. It might help to give people a chance, rather than judging them. If they do or say something that you don’t like, you can always ignore them and distance yourself and find others to be friends with. You won’t know unless you try!

Do you know if there are other ICT courses at your college you can take? Some might offer things like ‘Computing’ which would fall into the ICT courses. Otherwise, are there other courses you would like to do? You could look around your local area for other types of ICT courses, though they may be shorter, or look into distance learning.

As for getting a job and worrying about your social life, I guess that depends on what job you get. If you are working in retail, you will have opportunities to meet many people, some who you work with and others who will be customers. Either way, friendships can develop from there. It may be best, seeing as your goal is to make friends, to avoid jobs that mean working on your own, as this may make you feel worse.

All the best!

Mentoring and Support Team Leader | Click here to volunteer