View Single Post
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Not_here Offline
I can't get enough

Name: nobody

Points: 37,084, Level: 27 Points: 37,084, Level: 27 Points: 37,084, Level: 27

Re: How to carry on when your depression is getting the best of you. - December 30th 2014, 02:38 PM

Hey Dez,

Woah I totally have to edit this, too many typos!

I'm literally in the same boat.
I haven't gone out for over a week till yesterday I took a shower and dressed into street clothes and kinda willed myself outside. Even though I didn't feel like doing it, I did it anyway.
I think what we both have is lack of motivation.
Which is understandable, perhaps it is burnout from the semester or something else. But somehow it is both mental and physical.

I really suggest exercising. Walk, jog, run, bike ride, explore a new place. Dance in goofy socks or barefoot. Anything to get you moving. Start by doing something small. Take the garbage out and when you're done, grab a warm coat and keep going till you're outside and down the block. Or take your niece with you. If she doesn't walk well yet, you can stroll her around the block and back (if she is okay with it and all that-obviously don't force her).
Something else that helps me is taking a book (not a kindle, or laptop but a handheld book that you can turn the pages) and going to read outside at a park or open space.
I say a physical book because it just helps. Internet and computerized readings are great and usually is what interests me more but nothing beats the physical book. I even read somewhere that books can reduce stress by 68%
That doesn't mean to not spend time on the computer/internet etc but it is definitely important to be actively doing something that isn't "plugged in"
Something that does not require electricity.
Even a craft will help if you remove distractions. If you get something off pinterest, try to not refer directly to the computer. Either print out the paper or write down notes. Limit time on the internet, just by making room for other activities. Think about it...you have 24 hours in a day- let's say 8 hours sleeping and 16 hours for everything else. Maybe divide it further into something that makes sense to you. What are your hobbies? Perhaps assigning a space of time for your hobbies and anything else you enjoy. Then another space of time for responsibilities-chores, mealtime, family time, appointments, whatever. But arrange it how you feel is best for you.
Or bring a notebook and pen and write. Set a timer, maybe you'll have to use a phone for that but only use it for a timer. If you prefer typing, then just have a word doc opened. When you do things, do it fully wholesomely. Know what i mean? I'm struggling too with this fatigue you describe, so this is something I'm trying as well.
But don't feel bad about doing "nothing". It really all depends on the mindset you have. If your reason for doing nothing is depression, you might want to change that. However there's nothing wrong with taking a nap or having some time to rest. It is actually refreshing in the least. I guess it just takes a balance. Don't only do nothing, but don't only be busy either.

Last edited by Not_here; December 30th 2014 at 03:20 PM. Reason: mobile device typos blahhh