TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Ennui. Offline
Living the dream.

TeenHelp Superstar

Name: Dez
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 172,635, Level: 59 Points: 172,635, Level: 59 Points: 172,635, Level: 59

How to carry on when your depression is getting the best of you. - December 30th 2014, 12:39 AM

I have already ranted to a few people about this, and I thank those who have listened to me so much.

I've been in a bit of a tough place lately. I haven't gone through depression like this in a while, if ever. While I don't feel suicidal, I have had self harm urges that so far I have been able to work past.

But I've just been so blah. I've had some better days and some bad days, so it's not like I've been at an even level of crappy. But I've been getting tired so easily. And even when I'm not tired I just want to be curled up in bed, not really doing anything, so it's difficult to get up and do the things I need to do. Fortunately it's winter break so I don't have school so my responsibilities just go as far as making myself participate more on TH and babysit my niece. But it's hard to not just stay in my bed and do nothing. It seems so much more ideal.

On the days where I can get myself out of bed I also have a tough time because I have nothing to do, so I get really antsy. Two out of three of our vehicles are broken right now. The only one that is working is my dad's truck, which only fits two people in it. He works weekdays until the evening. So I can't really go anywhere without a ride, unless it's after he gets out of work.

I recently have made plans to socialize with people. I have tentative plans for tomorrow or Wednesday to hang out with a male friend if he is able to pick me up. It depends on if the work on his car is done on time. On Wednesday evening I am also going to my friend's to spend the night New Year's Eve into New Year's Day. The plans I made for tomorrow were spur of the moment, but the ones for New Year's became a tradition last year so we had this all planned out ahead of time.

But now I don't know if I'm up to it. As I said above, the urge to sleep or just lay in bed and do nothing more than maybe watch TV is too great.

But TV doesn't really interest me that much right now. I can't sit through a show for very long and even music isn't that entertaining or good for me anymore, I can't sit through that either!

I dunno, how do I get up and DO things and make myself live and survive and be alive and function like a normal human being when the depression is too pressing?

Do you ever get a little bit tired of life
Like you're not really happy but you don't wanna die
Like you're hanging by a thread but you gotta survive
'Cause you gotta survive
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Green Yoshi Offline
The screwdriverneedsgas!
I've been here a while

Name: carwithnogas

Points: 19,057, Level: 20 Points: 19,057, Level: 20 Points: 19,057, Level: 20

Re: How to carry on when your depression is getting the best of you. - December 30th 2014, 07:22 AM

I think that you should relax more and not think so much about things, because sometimes fatigue can result from over thinking things, which can result in mental burnout. You should concentrate on doing more positive things, and think about happy stuff. And i think it's better to try new activities.. the adventure aspect of it can be refreshing and can introduce a brand new positive dimension into your life.

I also think that sometimes, it can be nice to just sit and read or do something you like, as well as do some charity work. I think that can re-invoke the positive self within you. I'm pretty sure that those will work. The harder you try, the less you'll regret

I truly believe that you can overcome this, and it's better to make more plans ahead of time.. that can help you become a more active person once more.

I'll always be here if you wanna rant to someone, and you know that. :P

It's called a tunnel because there's ALWAYS a light at the end.

rant to me if there's anything!

http://www.teenhelp.org/private.php?do=newpm&u=27464

screwdriverneedsgas

As usual... pm me if you are ever having a tough day, and I'll respond immediately.

You guys deserve to be happy no matter what.. okay? You people are a bunch of lovelies ... and no matter what, you people deserve to be happy.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Not_here Offline
I can't get enough

Name: nobody

Points: 37,084, Level: 27 Points: 37,084, Level: 27 Points: 37,084, Level: 27

Re: How to carry on when your depression is getting the best of you. - December 30th 2014, 02:38 PM

Hey Dez,

Woah I totally have to edit this, too many typos!

I'm literally in the same boat.
I haven't gone out for over a week till yesterday I took a shower and dressed into street clothes and kinda willed myself outside. Even though I didn't feel like doing it, I did it anyway.
I think what we both have is lack of motivation.
Which is understandable, perhaps it is burnout from the semester or something else. But somehow it is both mental and physical.

I really suggest exercising. Walk, jog, run, bike ride, explore a new place. Dance in goofy socks or barefoot. Anything to get you moving. Start by doing something small. Take the garbage out and when you're done, grab a warm coat and keep going till you're outside and down the block. Or take your niece with you. If she doesn't walk well yet, you can stroll her around the block and back (if she is okay with it and all that-obviously don't force her).
Something else that helps me is taking a book (not a kindle, or laptop but a handheld book that you can turn the pages) and going to read outside at a park or open space.
I say a physical book because it just helps. Internet and computerized readings are great and usually is what interests me more but nothing beats the physical book. I even read somewhere that books can reduce stress by 68%
That doesn't mean to not spend time on the computer/internet etc but it is definitely important to be actively doing something that isn't "plugged in"
Something that does not require electricity.
Even a craft will help if you remove distractions. If you get something off pinterest, try to not refer directly to the computer. Either print out the paper or write down notes. Limit time on the internet, just by making room for other activities. Think about it...you have 24 hours in a day- let's say 8 hours sleeping and 16 hours for everything else. Maybe divide it further into something that makes sense to you. What are your hobbies? Perhaps assigning a space of time for your hobbies and anything else you enjoy. Then another space of time for responsibilities-chores, mealtime, family time, appointments, whatever. But arrange it how you feel is best for you.
Or bring a notebook and pen and write. Set a timer, maybe you'll have to use a phone for that but only use it for a timer. If you prefer typing, then just have a word doc opened. When you do things, do it fully wholesomely. Know what i mean? I'm struggling too with this fatigue you describe, so this is something I'm trying as well.
But don't feel bad about doing "nothing". It really all depends on the mindset you have. If your reason for doing nothing is depression, you might want to change that. However there's nothing wrong with taking a nap or having some time to rest. It is actually refreshing in the least. I guess it just takes a balance. Don't only do nothing, but don't only be busy either.

Last edited by Not_here; December 30th 2014 at 03:20 PM. Reason: mobile device typos blahhh
Closed Thread