Jamie Offline
A Tout Le Monde
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Jamie

Points: 13,518, Level: 16 Points: 13,518, Level: 16 Points: 13,518, Level: 16

Re: UK Teachers: Ban Homework For Kids Under 11 - April 18th 2009, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gidig View Post
That's a fair point. But the work ethic should come in at school. When you have a job, you work at the work-place. And you don't bring home work. If you do, you're probably going above and beyond what you need to be doing, and it's not considered mentally healthy to do so. My dad used to not be able to take home work because the management found that when people took home work, there were more errors because in life there should be a difference between home and work. If you're homeschooled/ working from home, that's another matter.
It should come from school and in a perfect world it would- but it's purely not that simple. I can understand the parallel with work- but it's not always that simple. A lot of jobs do require you to work at home regardless. I think there does need to be a difference between home and school, but is a small bit of homework that takes 30 minutes is not out of the question. I also think it's important to reinforce things- primary school (not sure what the american comparison is) is generally a place for fun and kids don't really focus that much on the work and this is where they pick up key skills, such as addition and spelling. They *have* to learn these things to be successful and study after study will show that the best way to remember things, is through reinforcement- and one bit of homework a week can make all the difference.

On a seperate note, I know as I've spent hte last 6 years (and am still in) the British School System- when I was in Year 7 (which is when under this, homework would then begin), my classmates protested against homework and avoided it at every chance because they didn't want to do it. If it's not there before, they are going to resist even more.