Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly
Pronouns: She/Her

Points: 57,786, Level: 34 Points: 57,786, Level: 34 Points: 57,786, Level: 34

Re: Some questions about College/Uni - May 8th 2015, 03:31 PM

Hey there,

I’m not from Scotland, but I have studied in a UK university.

I think it depends whether you are doing a single or joint award degree. I did Educational Studies and English (joint) so my modules (classes) were half Education studies and half English. I didn’t get to choose what I wanted to study- the classes were fixed. If you are doing a single award, e.g. a degree in Literature Studies, you may get to choose your options in terms of classes. There is usually a bit about what you will be studying on the University’s website, and whether you get to pick classes for the degree you want on the page about your chosen undergraduate degree. You could also email them to find out. I’m not sure whether you get to pick your classes in first year, but if you are doing a single award, you will get to pick your classes ready for second year. There will usually be ‘core’ classes that you have to take though. Also, there may be a credit system. I think there are a total of 120 credits per year (at least there was in my university) and you have to make sure that your classes will give you a total of 120 credits. The credits are based on the amount of hours you will be studying and working. Some modules might be 10 credits, others might be 20. So you also have to take that into account if you do get to pick your own classes.

In the UK, generally college offers National Vocational Qualifications (NVQs) in vocational subjects such as hairdressing, childcare, plumbing, electrics etc., as well as other qualifications equivalent to GCSE or A-Level (exams you sit in the UK at the age of 15-16 and 17-18 respectively). University offers a larger range of subjects, but at a ‘higher’ academic level than college, and subjects are usually geared to a certain profession or career pathway.

What to expect……university is quite different from high school My university was not like school where you are there from 9-3 everyday. You may have more free time in university than school, but that means more time to study. It’s also a lot more ‘individual’, as in if you don’t do the necessary reading or handing in work, the tutors might not chase you up on it like teachers in school, because they believe you’re mature enough to know these things in the first place. It’s also slightly different in that I had lectures and seminars for each module. A lecture takes place with everyone who is studying that module, so there could be 200 students in a hall, listening to the lecturer and making notes too. Seminars are much smaller and are more like classes you have in school as there might only be 20 of you, and this time is used to discuss whatever you are studying.

It’s great to hear that you are so enthusiastic about education and university. Whatever you decide to do, enjoy it! It goes too quickly haha

Feel free to PM me anytime

Mentoring and Support Team Leader | Click here to volunteer
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.