Sen Vanos Offline
That One Guy
Not a n00b

Name: Sen

Points: 7,794, Level: 12 Points: 7,794, Level: 12 Points: 7,794, Level: 12

Re: About My Parents... - August 13th 2015, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nala View Post
That sounds really frustrating. I'm sorry you feel as they don't respect your beliefs. Is it okay if I ask something? You say you respect their beliefs, and of course I believe you and admire that as it's very mature of you, but do you show that to them and let them know you respect their beliefs when you're having these discussions with them? Sometimes there's a case of miscommunication where that isn't clear and the person on the other side of the discussion feels that you're only trying to prove them wrong when you're just simply sharing your own view on the matter which makes them become more defensive. Does that make sense?

Having a talk with your parents about this if you haven't already may help. You can mention that different people have their own views, opinions and beliefs and that you respect theirs, but you don't feel like yours are respected. They may be getting so caught up in these discussions that they might not even realize they're making you feel that way, you know? But I hope they begin taking your feelings into consideration more during these discussions. Just remember though, some people are stubborn and see their views as fact. While it must understandably be frustrating, if this continues then try redirecting the conversation at dinner time to a different and less controversial subject if possible and ask them if you can talk about something else when they bring up certain subjects that you know will become an argument.

Hope this helps! Best of luck.
Well, I never really say I respect it, but I do. I don't just say: "Nope, Isn't true.". But I've already had such problems with my teacher, to a worse extent. Luckily, I'm going to High School now. Well, I'll try to change the subject, then. But it's kinda weird, I kinda like arguments. I like what I don't like. Maybe I need to make a new thread about that somewhere else.