TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Sen Vanos Offline
That One Guy
Not a n00b

Name: Sen

Points: 7,794, Level: 12 Points: 7,794, Level: 12 Points: 7,794, Level: 12

Angry About My Parents... - August 11th 2015, 04:09 PM

This didn't seem to fit anywhere else so I put it here.
My parents: The worst to have an argument with, the best in the rest. Everytime at dinner, they just HAVE to bring up something about the government being corrupt or Obama being able to control the weather, or other stupid conspiracies like that. I'm trying to form a legit discussion and have legit evidence to disprove it, and they counter with a long speech which just means: "I'm right and you're wrong". I bring up more evidence, and they repeat the same speech. Jesus. They listen to my arguments, and just say: "That's not true". It pisses me of so much. I respect their belief's, but I want them to respect mine too.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount11

Edit avatar

Re: About My Parents... - August 12th 2015, 04:48 AM

That sounds really frustrating. I'm sorry you feel as they don't respect your beliefs. Is it okay if I ask something? You say you respect their beliefs, and of course I believe you and admire that as it's very mature of you, but do you show that to them and let them know you respect their beliefs when you're having these discussions with them? Sometimes there's a case of miscommunication where that isn't clear and the person on the other side of the discussion feels that you're only trying to prove them wrong when you're just simply sharing your own view on the matter which makes them become more defensive. Does that make sense?

Having a talk with your parents about this if you haven't already may help. You can mention that different people have their own views, opinions and beliefs and that you respect theirs, but you don't feel like yours are respected. They may be getting so caught up in these discussions that they might not even realize they're making you feel that way, you know? But I hope they begin taking your feelings into consideration more during these discussions. Just remember though, some people are stubborn and see their views as fact. While it must understandably be frustrating, if this continues then try redirecting the conversation at dinner time to a different and less controversial subject if possible and ask them if you can talk about something else when they bring up certain subjects that you know will become an argument.

Hope this helps! Best of luck.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Philomath Offline
Love is > your mistakes
I can't get enough

Name: Christina
Pronouns: she/they

Points: 29,768, Level: 24 Points: 29,768, Level: 24 Points: 29,768, Level: 24

Re: About My Parents... - August 12th 2015, 02:45 PM

I agree with Ellie.
My family can be this way too and I have found the best solution to be to either ignore and not contribute to the discussion or to redirect the conversation to a less controversial topic.
Definitely pay attention to how you are talking to them. Sometimes we have best intentions in bringing up our frustrations or concersn but we get caught up in our emotions and can seem defensive. That is not probably what you are getting at but they may not understand where you are coming from
Hope that helps and things improve.

P.S. I am moving your thread to the Friends and Family forum because I believe it is a better fit for that forum. If you have any questions about this action please send me a PM and I will be glad to get back to you.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Sen Vanos Offline
That One Guy
Not a n00b

Name: Sen

Points: 7,794, Level: 12 Points: 7,794, Level: 12 Points: 7,794, Level: 12

Re: About My Parents... - August 13th 2015, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nala View Post
That sounds really frustrating. I'm sorry you feel as they don't respect your beliefs. Is it okay if I ask something? You say you respect their beliefs, and of course I believe you and admire that as it's very mature of you, but do you show that to them and let them know you respect their beliefs when you're having these discussions with them? Sometimes there's a case of miscommunication where that isn't clear and the person on the other side of the discussion feels that you're only trying to prove them wrong when you're just simply sharing your own view on the matter which makes them become more defensive. Does that make sense?

Having a talk with your parents about this if you haven't already may help. You can mention that different people have their own views, opinions and beliefs and that you respect theirs, but you don't feel like yours are respected. They may be getting so caught up in these discussions that they might not even realize they're making you feel that way, you know? But I hope they begin taking your feelings into consideration more during these discussions. Just remember though, some people are stubborn and see their views as fact. While it must understandably be frustrating, if this continues then try redirecting the conversation at dinner time to a different and less controversial subject if possible and ask them if you can talk about something else when they bring up certain subjects that you know will become an argument.

Hope this helps! Best of luck.
Well, I never really say I respect it, but I do. I don't just say: "Nope, Isn't true.". But I've already had such problems with my teacher, to a worse extent. Luckily, I'm going to High School now. Well, I'll try to change the subject, then. But it's kinda weird, I kinda like arguments. I like what I don't like. Maybe I need to make a new thread about that somewhere else.
Closed Thread