View Single Post
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Calaer Offline
I have the Millennium Puzzle
I've been here a while

Name: Calaer

Points: 20,292, Level: 20 Points: 20,292, Level: 20 Points: 20,292, Level: 20

Re: difference in outlook and perspective ..resulting in conflict with my parents!! help please!!! - September 5th 2015, 10:41 AM

Hey. Sadly, I may not have the answers you are looking for, but I'll try my best to help.

As a mother, caregiver, and big sister I know how it can be with teens/young adults. Me being only 20 myself, it wasn't that long ago when I was in a similar situation. Sadly, because you aren't old enough to be on your own yet, there isn't much you can do, other than find inner peace with yourself and practice patience towards your parents. If I'm totally honest, I'm just as bad with 'personal space' as well.

I always make the girls come out of their rooms and socialize with us. We do family activities, and I always make sure the electronics are out of the picture. I also have very strict Internet rules (though, we have had a pretty serious situation happen in the past to implicate these rules.) Culture wise, I'm sure there are some major differences between our situations, but I assure you, that your mother only cares for you, and wants what is best for you. (Even though she can get pretty annoying trying to show you.)

As for your father, mine was the same way. He is so intelligent, but has no drive to better his situation. No matter how much I reached out to try and do things with him, he would push me back. (Sadly, we no longer speak because of this.) There isn't much you can do about his situation. Just keep encouraging him, and hopefully he will show some drive in the future.

As far as the religion, I'm very religion as well. I do try and teach my girls The Gospel, but I also realize that they aren't as interested in learning as I would hope. Just keep in mind that your mother was raised in religion, and she is trying to teach you the same as she was taught. When you were raised to believe specific things it's hard to grasp a different opinion on them, especially when you've spent so long believing the latter. Again, just practice patience with your Mother while trying to explain different views to her. Hopefully she will grasp where you are coming from.

As far as being very open with your personal beliefs, ect, Myself as a mother, I realize that there will come a day when the girls (The two teens are dealing with this now) will become more interested in sexuality. I was raised in a very strict, conservative family, but am also very open minded, so it's easier for me to understand where they are coming from. In the end, you are who you are, and your parent's aren't going to be able to change that one way or another.

As for the little things, such as when you eat lunch, or when you shower, ect I personally like the girls to eat with us as a family, and I would like them to take a shower before a specific time, but that's mainly because there are a bunch of us, and we all need showers and plenty of rest before school/work. I think that's just your mother trying in her own way to help you manage your time.

And finally (hopefully I've covered everything else) Your parents gave up their dreams when they had you, and in-turn you became their dream. As a mother, I never knew how much my life would change when I had my daughter. I gave up the dreams I had, but had gained a better one. My dream/ambition is for my daughter to grow up healthy, successful, and happy. It's my job to get her there, and it's a full time job. So, in a way, yes. Parent's can live their dreams with you.

Overall, there isn't much you can do about your parents, or their situation. Just focus on being the best you that you can be, and work on practicing paticence with your parents. They just care for you, and want what's best for you. I really hope this helps, and I hope I covered everything. Good luck and best wishes~

"One day, in retrospect, the years of struggle will strike you as the most beautiful." ~Sigmund Freud

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.