View Single Post
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount11

Edit avatar

Re: Arguing with parents - September 27th 2015, 11:27 PM

Hi there.

I'm sorry you've been having arguments with your parents lately. It sounds really upsetting for you. I agree with the above posters.

When someone is upsetting you and seemingly intentionally doing things to frustrate you, it can be understandable that you'd have a rude response because after all; this person is pushing your buttons. The thing is, doing so can sometimes escalate the argument leading to more hurt feelings on both sides rather than having a productive impact that will prevent this in the future. I suggest venting your frustrations in a more polite way to him. What he's doing doesn't sound okay so let him know that in a calm conversation. Sit down with your dad when he isn't busy and apologize for saying rude things to him but also let him know about what upsets you and how you'd really appreciate if he wouldn't say/do those things as it really upsets you.

Remember, we all get upset and we also do things that upsets and irritates others which is why it's a good idea to let the people around us know when they do something upsetting in a calm and respectful way. That has the potential of a much more positive outcome of resolving or at least improving the issue than it does to lash out. And lashing out is common when you bottle your feelings up or don't feel you can express it. Outlets (creative hobbies and writing) along with communication can help a lot. You may also find it helpful to take walks and/or try things on the self-harm alternatives list when you're struggling with urges and difficult feelings.

Hope things with your parents improve for you soon and that this helped somehow. Maybe spend quality time with them as a family? Take care and stay strong.