View Single Post
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount11

Edit avatar

Re: Help Me? Self Harm... - October 5th 2015, 07:26 PM

Hi, Luke!

I'm sorry you're being bullied right now. That sounds really upsetting to face at school. Have you went to the school principal about the bullying and who is bullying you? Hopefully something can be done to improve your experience at school. You should not have to simply deal with being mistreated for no good reason. Along with that, opening up to someone you trust could help you cope with both the bullying and the self-harm issue as you'd have support and someone to talk to, you know? This can be anyone - your parents, a trusted teacher, your school counselor, a family member etc. Just don't be alone.

Especially when you're dealing with a difficult issue such as bullying, self-harm may seem like a helpful outlet but it really isn't in the end as it hurts you more than it helps. I'm sure you know this by now which is why I want to point out that you should be really proud of yourself for reaching out here. Reaching out for help is the first step and it's a big step. I'm sorry the bullying has made you feel like self-harming.

What could be helpful is to find another outlet; several so you have healthier ways to express your emotions. You can do this in lots of ways. Writing poetry, songs/short stories, photography, drawing, painting etc. Look for hobbies and outlets that you enjoy and that you can put your emotions into, you know? Quitting self-harm seems like a difficult task, but since it's how you cope with your emotions then you need a healthier outlet(s) in replacement so you don't end up bottling your emotions up. On that subject, I recommend journaling if you don't already. Simply keep a journal and write down your feelings, thoughts and things going on in your life. This can be a therapeutic outlet.

Distractions and alternatives during urges is important. Here's a list of self-harm alternatives. I suggest reading through the list as it is a big list of things you can do instead when you get urges to self-harm. It also suggests alternatives for dealing with difficult feelings like sadness, anger, loneliness etc. Creating a "go-to" plan for yourself would be a good idea. Basically, have hobbies, distractions and coping techniques that you can resort to whenever you feel like self-harming. Another tip is to exercise when you get urges because exercise releases endorphins which is the effect self-harm has.

Making goals may be a good motivator. You could try to go one week self-harm free then two weeks and so on. Set small goals, reach them then set a longer goal. Remember, each day self-harm free and each urge resisted contributes to your recovery. Relapses are part of recovery so just keep trying, okay? You can do this. Stay strong.