Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly
Pronouns: She/Her

Points: 57,786, Level: 34 Points: 57,786, Level: 34 Points: 57,786, Level: 34

Re: did i have an anxiety attack? what was it? - November 21st 2015, 09:58 PM

Hey Dakota,

The symptoms you experience (feeling closed in, less air to breathe, spacing out) may definitely be symptoms of an anxiety attack. However, I'm not sure where the flashbacks of nightmare come into it. Were you writing something that might've triggered you into remembering the nightmare? It's possible that if you were triggered into having the flashback, that naturally, the symptoms of anxiety would occur since it sounds anxiety producing for you.

If it happens again, try moving to a larger space (so you feel less trapped), and taking a few deep breaths or having a drink of water. Once you've calmed down, you might like to note down the time and date of the attack and what you were doing that might've triggered it. Over time, you may notice a pattern and then you'll be able to manage the attacks better. For the time being though, try not to worry about it, as worrying may bring on an attack.

I am wondering whether it may be related to claustrophobia, but I'm not a professional. If it gets worse, it's best to talk to a doctor or a counsellor.

Hope this helped a bit!

Mentoring and Support Team Leader | Click here to volunteer