Thread: Triggering: Why do you self-harm?
View Single Post
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount71

Edit avatar

Re: Why do you self-harm? - December 1st 2015, 10:11 PM

I, too, self-harm for a variety of reasons. Sometimes I want to use physical pain as a way to distract from the emotional pain I am experiencing. Sometimes I want to dissociate from reality and self-harm helps me "zone out," to speak. Most often, though, self-harm is a means through which I punish myself. I feel like I have failed or disappointed either someone else or myself and so I deserve to suffer.

I've struggled with self-harm on and off for ten years now. In that time I have learned many coping skills that tend to help, when I am committed to using them. Sometimes I am more dedicated than others. It's difficult, but I am working on it. If there was one thing I were to say about self-harm it's that there are other ways to deal with your pain. It's not always easy, but recovery is possible. There's a whole world out there for you to enjoy and you have all the power to do so. Find whatever methods work for you to process your feelings and go make the most of life. It's a beautiful thing, and living it to the fullest is the best thing I can imagine.