View Single Post
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
JazzyJazz Offline
Associate HelpLINK Mentor
Regular TeenHelper

Points: 5,906, Level: 11 Points: 5,906, Level: 11 Points: 5,906, Level: 11

Re: After High School Stress - April 12th 2016, 05:29 AM

Hello and welcome to TeenHelp.

If going back for another semester is an option, then I agree that that's a good idea if you feel you aren't ready. However, if you still felt that you weren't ready in February, it might be worth considering a different path. This wouldn't mean giving up on higher education forever; just doing something else until you were definitely able to cope with it.

You're not alone - many teens are daunted by the idea of college/university. It's difficult when parents are not understanding, but I think that if you have a clear plan of what you want to do and why, your dad is more likely to listen.

In order to ensure that your plan is clear, figure out exactly what course you want to study, where you want to apply to, whether they allow you to start when you are looking to start, etc. In addition, although it's not easy, I do think that you should be honest with your dad about why you don't want to go straight to college/university. Perhaps say how you want to give it your best shot, and you would rather wait a bit and then succeed, than try to do it before you're ready and fall flat on your face, so to speak.

I hope you can find the courage to stand up for what you want.

Be kind to yourself.

Last edited by JazzyJazz; April 12th 2016 at 05:49 AM.