View Single Post
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Points: 26,162, Level: 23 Points: 26,162, Level: 23 Points: 26,162, Level: 23

Re: So my parents are very strict... - April 30th 2016, 04:36 PM

I don't think that there is a way to fake it. It's linked to a GPS and Apple (nor any other company) would make it fake-able because of how that could be used for criminal reasons.

Why don't you try going places your mom will approve of? The mall, a coffee shop, a park etc. as opposed to peoples houses or something and just explain to your friends that it is just something you need to do for a while because your parents are being unreasonable. And then once your mom gets off your case, maybe you can try turning off the GPS thing and say that the system must just be down or whatever.

Also, why does your mom even have access to that information? It sounds like she has a password or something. I know how the Find Your iPhone thing works and my boyfriend (for example) can't just search that up for kicks, he (and others) need a password to access it online or one of my other devices (e.g. my tablet) where the Finding app is automatically logged in.

I think you need to change that password and just stand your ground if your mom gets mad. Of course don't do it (or don't persist) if your mom is going to hurt you or otherwise take things to far.

As your parent, I do think that your mom has a right to know where you are but she should do it openly and honestly. There is nothing that makes me angrier on the behalf of others faster than a parent who refuses to respect their child's privacy and insists on having to be allowed to do X Y and Z to "ensure their safety" when it really boils down to them not trusting their kid and being inappropriately protective (e.g. having passwords, looking through internet history, searching through texts, GPSing their location, etc.). Oh, and half these parents want their kids to "trust" them which is total bull shit because the parents I know who behave(d) like this just ended up creating a situation where their kid tries (or tried) harder to hide things and would lie to their parents and would act out against their parents restrictive and narrow rules. And then the parents bitch about how the kid is acting out as if it never occurred to them that it's their treatment of their kid that is causing it and I'm like "I wonder why?" I've seen the odd kid who didn't mind / care that their parents were incredibly strict, but for the most part, something like what I said happens. It's one thing to have extra protective measures in place if your kid is like, 10, and having to go out and do things independently, but surely by high school parents need to relax it a little.

Soooooo... Change the password. Do what I said with your friends, maybe even invite them over for a movie night (even fi it'll be incredibly awkward because of your mom - maybe seeing that they're not a bunch of miscreants will help her chill out). But also don't lie to her about where you are. Like don't say you're going to study at Starbucks and then go to your friends house. Your mom won't change her restrictive views overnight and it'll hurt your case if she catches you lying. Maybe try studying with your friends in the kitchen. Maybe try spending time with a girl (I know I know, you shouldn't have to) and work in including a guy.

I hope that helps.

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions