View Single Post
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly
Pronouns: She/Her

Points: 57,622, Level: 34 Points: 57,622, Level: 34 Points: 57,622, Level: 34

Re: how do I tell my mom I think I have anxiety? - September 21st 2016, 11:20 AM

Hey there,

Really sorry to hear that you are dealing with anxiety! It's a horrible feeling, having a panic attack, I know. Perhaps you can practice some deep breathing exercises? It might also help if you try to focus on what's going on around you, rather than the panic attack as it may help to pass quicker.

I'm sorry to hear that your mum didn't seem too supportive of you. Would it be worth trying to talk to your mum about it again? Or writing her a note instead? If not, what about going to that teacher-the one who talked about anxiety disorders- and asking her if she could help explain it to your mum?

As you have realised, anxiety affects you physically, but it also affects your thoughts- you believe that others will judge and criticise you and that you will be embarrassed in front of others. It can be helpful to remember that we aren't mind readers so we don't know what others think of us. Most of the time, people are thinking about themselves or what bothers them. Perhaps if you notice the negative thoughts, you can try to challenge them instead? Make them seem less scary and maybe you wont feel so anxious?

Does your school have a school counsellor? If they do, it might be worth talking to your school counsellor as they should be able to help you learn techniques to calm you down and prevent further panic attacks. If not, is it possible to go to visit your doctor and talk about anxiety and ask for a referral to a therapist?

Hope this helps and that you are able to get the help you deserve!

Mentoring and Support Team Leader | Click here to volunteer