View Single Post
  (#1 (permalink)) Old
NeuroBeautiful Offline
Please call that story back.
I've been here a while

Name: Violet

Points: 29,677, Level: 24 Points: 29,677, Level: 24 Points: 29,677, Level: 24

adult coloring books yeah or nah? - December 10th 2016, 05:21 PM

My personal opinion is that children doing coloring books can be problematic.

But I also read articles that for adults it can be beneficial because it lowers stress and teaches you mindfulness and is not cognitively demanding.

Anyone tried adult coloring books?
My college would have the wellness office for stress free time before finals. They had play dough and coloring pages and snacks and messages. They stopped doing it probably because of budget cuts. Now they have a really strained, more stressful than reducing stress version of puppy therapy.
I've always enjoyed their stress-free zone. I was sad when they took it out and discontinued doing it

The other thing is that coloring books are marketed as "art therapy" and that's simply not true. This is not a form of professional help. So the name is misleading. However, non-art therapy mental health professionals like school counselors and talk therapists might implement therapeutic art activities and also perpetuate the misleading name, calling what they do as art therapy.
So I have to keep in mind that this isn't a form of therapy. This is supposed to just be a cool fun thing to do.
So as someone who is looking for hobbies to get into. I know what I like and don't like and art-making is one of the things I like to do.
I can make my own art from scratch but I am thinking of using coloring books as maybe a warm up exercise?
Is that counter-intuitive.
Wondering what your experiences are. How were you feeling before, and how did you feel after?
What was your motivation to try coloring? De-stress, relax, do creative work,just for fun, or something else?

Thank you