View Single Post
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
NeuroBeautiful Offline
Please call that story back.
I've been here a while

Name: Violet

Points: 29,446, Level: 24 Points: 29,446, Level: 24 Points: 29,446, Level: 24

Re: college major - January 13th 2017, 09:46 PM

I wanted to be a social worker for a long time and a teacher at one point too. I mean I still love both among many other career ideas but social work was the one I was given most discouragement. Even teachers in training told me to stay away from social work. The thing is, those people are on the outside and haven't been in social work. Maybe their uncle's girlfriend's sister was a social worker but they themselves were not. So then I took a social work course in college and it was taught by a social worker and professor and she gave some good insight about what to consider, pros and done, finding the right fit for a career etc. But even then, while she helped a lot, she still cannot determine what's right for me personally. So only you can know if being a teacher is the thing you want to pursue. I worked at a daycare and got a lot of blame and critisism (a lot of it was misplaced blame actually and a somewhat manipulative boss) and I was lead to believe I can't do it. I quit in the end but I'm thinking of trying again with working with kids because I am willing to work hard band improve my skills. That's how much I love working with kids. So even if someone is "too quiet" or any criticism, they can work on it. It isn't the end of a career because of that.
In fact, many of my teachers, usually math and science ones, were once failing in those subjects and they got to flip that around and teach the subject they struggled with.