View Single Post
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
hocus pocus Offline
Feline the love.

TeenHelp Addict

Pronouns: She/her

Points: 120,700, Level: 49 Points: 120,700, Level: 49 Points: 120,700, Level: 49

Re: I need ideas to help freind stop cutting. - May 26th 2017, 01:03 PM

Hi Keagan,

It's really kind of you to want to help your friend. Your friend is lucky to have you.

Do you know why your friend is harming himself? There aren't always particular reasons, but if they are, perhaps you and your friend can write a list of his triggers so he can find ways to cope with those triggers, thus decreasing the urges to self-harm.

You could also try suggesting distractions, such as taking walks, reading, talking to you or other friends, or listening to music to name a few. Distractions from self-harm can also be specific to what someone is trying to get from self-harm (e.g. they like the rush, or they like taking care of the injuries). For instance, if someone likes the rush, they may benefit from taking a run or finding other ways to release endorphins. If they like taking care of their injuries, they could find something else to care for. Here is a list of distractions to show your friend.

Something else you could do is suggest doing things to release his feelings. He could do this by talking to you or someone else when things feel overwhelming. He could also keep a blog, or a journal so he has a designated place to vent in. Many people on TeenHelp blog and find it helpful.

You said you don't want parents or the school involved and that is understandable. However, maybe you can encourage your friend to talk to someone he trusts about this whether that is you, another friend, or someone else.

If clarity's in death, then why won't this die?
Years of tearing down our banners, you and I
Living for the thrill of hitting you where it hurts
Give me back my girlhood, it was mine first

The axe forgets, but the tree remembers