View Single Post
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
hocus pocus Offline
Feline the love.

TeenHelp Addict

Pronouns: She/her

Points: 120,700, Level: 49 Points: 120,700, Level: 49 Points: 120,700, Level: 49

Re: How to convince my parents (mainly my controlling father) to let me go abroad? - May 31st 2017, 12:31 PM

This job seems like it would be perfect for you! You've been really responsible, like you've said and it is unfortunate that your parents don't want you go to school and work abroad. Maybe it would help to give your parents a little time before discussing this again; perhaps they need a little time to think things over.

It is nice that you have helped around the house and although your siblings are important it is certainly not your responsibility to care for them.

You explained it in more detail to your mom before; how did that go? It is possible that your mom may have said no to agree with your dad. She could feel some sort of obligation to agree with him on things. If your mom is easier to talk to, you could consider talking to her more often and in more detail to get her thoughts without your dad's input.

You know your parents more than anyone else here would - do you think you have to convince your parents to go? Is that a must? Or, could you go whether they like it or not? You're nineteen and you'll be older after you graduate, so even though they don't like the idea, they can't keep you home.

Hopefully someone else with more insight will come along and give you some advice. Best of luck convincing your parents to work abroad.

If clarity's in death, then why won't this die?
Years of tearing down our banners, you and I
Living for the thrill of hitting you where it hurts
Give me back my girlhood, it was mine first

The axe forgets, but the tree remembers