View Single Post
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Ennui. Offline
Living the dream.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 172,194, Level: 59 Points: 172,194, Level: 59 Points: 172,194, Level: 59

Re: Are you honest about your mental health at work and school? - September 20th 2017, 04:31 PM

I have been honest about it to some professors, as well as to some people where I did my internship (which is like free work? :nosweat). As far as my internship I didn't tell my preceptors, who were basically like my "bosses," but I did tell some of the people who worked there who I worked closely with. Some of them were actually able to relate on some level. The people I worked with had varying levels of openness about their lives anyway and sometimes we've even talked about sex at work so. I feel as if those particular bosses at my internship wouldn't be upset with it or discriminate, but I know at some workplaces this may be the case.

At school I have told some professors but not all of them. At one point I tried going to the disability center at my school for help but since my GPA was too high they were basically like "what can we do for you?" but I don't hold a grudge. If that weren't the case and they did help I would have probably disclosed more fully to all my professors when I gave them accommodation letters so they could have helped me better. I have mentioned my anxiety disorder casually to some professors, then I've mentioned anxiety and depression to others in the course of assignments, and others in conversation, as there's one professor who I've had some really deep conversations with.

Do you ever get a little bit tired of life
Like you're not really happy but you don't wanna die
Like you're hanging by a thread but you gotta survive
'Cause you gotta survive