View Single Post
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
Lumos. Offline
Used to be Don'tForget
I can't get enough

Name: Dionna

Points: 28,923, Level: 24 Points: 28,923, Level: 24 Points: 28,923, Level: 24

Re: Are you honest about your mental health at work and school? - September 20th 2017, 11:58 PM

For me, at school, I have always disclosed about my mental health to a counsellor and some of my teachers. Now that I am in college I will be disclosing it to the accessibility resources people so that I am able to get accommodations to better handle being at school. I don't mind doing that, and if a teacher has a question as to why I have one, I will tell them as little as they need to know or just tell them that I need it for the bettering of my grades and to be able to handle schooling.

For work, on the other hand, I do my best not to disclose anything about my mental illness. I think that work is separate from my mental illness, and they have no need to know about it unless it is going to affect the times that I must work. In the past when I have been hospitalized, however; I have had to tell them that I was in a hospital to excuse myself from not being able to work. Whenever I have had to tell them, I just keep it to the minimum amount of details about it.

Has anyone else ever worried that if they told a teacher or boss about a specific reason for something that they would treat you differently, or believed you were unfit to do a job? Just curious.

From day one I talked about getting out
But not forgetting about
How all my worst fears are letting out
He said, "Why put a new address on the same old loneliness?"
When breathing just passes the time
Until we all just get old and die