View Single Post
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Points: 33,958, Level: 26 Points: 33,958, Level: 26 Points: 33,958, Level: 26

Re: First day of work and I hate my manager - September 26th 2017, 07:04 PM

Been there! And I can say that it probably wasn't you. Some managers hate new people because you're obviously learning and slowing things down and when they have other things to deal with on top of that, they can get frustrated and start taking it out on people. You're right that there's no excuse for it, but that might be what's happening.

Yes, discussing it with the wrong person, especially early on could lose you the job, but if it continues, consider saying something to the hiring manager, especially if you're comfortable. Instead of complaining "Manager told me to do this, or is being this way." Ask a coworker or other manager how to do what she seems to think the problem is and they'll help you fix it and get better without bringing the manager's name into it. If you can avoid this person and there's someone else you can go to instead for help or advice, I would just avoid her. If not, your only option is to not let it get a rise out of you. Her behavior is wrong, but if you respond the same way, they'll hold it against you, not her.

The good/bad news is that you can't control her. Just do the best you can and stay as calm about it as possible. It was your first day, something was bound to go wrong and be overwhelming. It'll get better as you get more comfortable and catch on to how things work.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte