Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly
Pronouns: She/Her

Points: 57,742, Level: 34 Points: 57,742, Level: 34 Points: 57,742, Level: 34

Re: Boyfriend with Schizophrenia - September 30th 2017, 07:35 PM

Hey there (and welcome to TeenHelp!)

It's lovely to see how much you care about your boyfriend and would like advice on how to continue the relationship while taking into consideration your boyfriend's diagnosis of schizophrenia.

I guess really it does depend on the symptoms that your boyfriend experiences and, if possible, how you can help. Perhaps start by reading up on schizophrenia and ask if he is comfortable talking about the symptoms he experiences, and if there is anything specific to him that you can do or should avoid doing. I understand that it can sometimes be a bit difficult in having conversations about mental health, but really, it's no different than asking someone about their physical health.

I don't have schizophrenia but I guess in general just continue the relationship as normal. Your boyfriend is the same person before the diagnosis and while the schizophrenia may affect him a lot at times, it doesn't define him. Ignore any of the stereotypes, myths and stigma about schizophrenia and mental health in general. And if you notice that his mental health is getting worse e.g. not looking after himself, being preoccupied with delusions then it's important to tell someone who can help him. He may be prescribed medication and it's important for him to continue the treatment even if he feels he is getting better. It's never good to stop medication without advice from a doctor as it can cause symptoms to get worse.

Don't feel awful- the important thing is that you are willing to learn about and accept your boyfriend's schizophrenia

Mentoring and Support Team Leader | Click here to volunteer