View Single Post
  (#1 (permalink)) Old
Emmylou Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 3,389, Level: 8 Points: 3,389, Level: 8 Points: 3,389, Level: 8

Who can i confide in about my self harm? - January 21st 2018, 12:11 AM

I really need to talk about it but I'm not sure who to tell.

My mum found out a couple of weeks ago when she saw my scars by accident but I feel like I want to talk about it with someone now. Because she found out, the issue of my self harm seems actually real - before it had just been in my head and a secret. Now that's its real I realise it's a problem and I want to talk to someone and sort it out.

One of my options is the counsellor I see in school because of some other things. It's been on the tip of my tongue to tell her during the last few sessions but I just cant bring myself too! I'm so ashamed for self harming and i can't get the words out to tell her. One of the reasons for not saying was that I scared of my parents finding out but now that they know maybe I should tell the counsellor.

Another option is that a girl from church has asked if I'd like to go for coffee with her this week. She's 4 or 5 years older than me and we're quite friendly. She's a youth leader at my church and I've told her about some of the other stuff that I'm seeing the counsellor for (it's because of this that we're going for coffee). She's been a great help and support to me already with everything else. I was thinking that maybe I could confide in her because I trust her and also since she's quite close but more distant from me than friends or family.

So should I tell the counsellor or my friend or both or neither?!