Thread: Parents
View Single Post
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Latte Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Points: 3,839, Level: 9 Points: 3,839, Level: 9 Points: 3,839, Level: 9

Re: Parents - November 15th 2018, 06:36 PM

You're 27 right? I find it odd that you're parents would feel like they get to have such power over their child, though you do mention that you help them financially too. Is it possible that the problem is that they were expecting you to be setting aside more money just in case they need your help and by treating yourself on a pricier item, they feel like you're not being responsible enough (versus not responsible at all???)

Obviously that's unfair, as you're paying your bills. If you had children and it was their needs you might be neglecting in order to buy a record I'd be like "ok yeah, they should be pissed as your child is dependent on you and can't compensate for your spending" but your parents are adults, and while it's nice if you can help them when they need it, you shouldn't be obligated too. You certainly shouldn't stop living your life because of them.

There could be other reasons why they react this way, but based on what you've told us, I can't help but wonder if they're own financial situation contributes to their reaction.

Even if you're sure that's not why, I think that you just need to brush it off and stand up for yourself. Parents are still humans, you know, they don't always do things right or rationally, and this might be one of those things where you need to evaluate what you are doing -- your credit card is paid off, you've paid your bills, for food, and monthly payments on loans, if applicable, you have a savings account, you budget your spending etc -- and from there, you made a calculated decision that this is something you could get right now, and that's that.