View Single Post
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly
Pronouns: She/Her

Points: 57,786, Level: 34 Points: 57,786, Level: 34 Points: 57,786, Level: 34

Re: How to tell the difference between BPD and depression? - July 24th 2019, 05:56 PM

Are you able to keep track of your triggers and thoughts and then see if there is a pattern as to what might be the bipolar vs borderline personality disorder? Not sure how helpful that is as I was going to suggest that with borderline personality disorder the mood swings may be centred around relationships/lifestyle changes but then this can also be a factor in bipolar too. The other problem with depression in general is that it's still possible to have energy and function even when depressed. You don't necessarily have to be numb or in a deep depression.

I understand about the stigma of BPD and I'm really sorry that you feel you get taken less seriously when others think it's BPD related. It shouldn't be a barrier for getting help though. If you need or want to go to hospital for self-harm, then it's worth getting it checked out. If anyone suggests that it's BPD, you can always mention that you have bipolar as well. No-one should treat you differently for having BPD but if they do, try not to take it personally. There's a good chance they are wrongly buying into the stigma of the BPD label rather than treating you as person with respect.

How's the search for volunteering and a therapist going? It definitely seems like adding more of a purpose and going to a therapist can be beneficial to you.

I'm not sure how helpful this was. I imagine that tracking your mood and triggers as well as talking to a professional about how to distinguish bipolar vs BPD could be helpful. Hope others can share more of a personal insight with you!

Mentoring and Support Team Leader | Click here to volunteer