(#3 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly
Pronouns: She/Her

Points: 57,786, Level: 34 Points: 57,786, Level: 34 Points: 57,786, Level: 34

Re: My doctor is convinced I have trauma? - September 8th 2019, 08:22 PM

I agree with the above. If she asks or mentions trauma again just be honest and say that you don't remember or believe that you've gone through trauma. You could mention that your dad had cancer when you were in 4th grade though I wonder if she would point out that could've been a trauma for you.

I do find it a bit concerning that she is focussed on finding a trauma. Self-harm can happen for many reasons and doesn't have to be explicitly linked to a trauma. It makes sense that if she insists that you have been through a trauma that it would make you feel angry as it seems like she isn't listening and believing you which would impact on your relationship with her. Though it's good she is helping you with physical health related things. I guess just stick to your ground- you know you better than anyone else

Edited to add: To compliment what Jen said above, trauma isn't always obvious. I know that in therapy you can have two different types of trauma big 'T' and little 't' where the big traumas are things like rape, abuse, war, disasters, violence etc and little traumas are things that might not seem big on the surface but can still have an effect, which are things like bullying, emotional neglect, invalidation, feeling left out or not fitting in etc.

Mentoring and Support Team Leader | Click here to volunteer

Last edited by Celyn; September 9th 2019 at 04:48 PM.