Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly
Pronouns: She/Her

Points: 57,742, Level: 34 Points: 57,742, Level: 34 Points: 57,742, Level: 34

Re: Not really sure where I'm going now. - March 15th 2020, 10:06 PM

Hey there,

I'm wondering why you are having a hard time believing that you could have PTSD? As Sarah explained, though PTSD is often associated with the military, it can be caused by a variety of different things- natural disasters, car crashes, violence/assault, childhood abuse/neglect, abusive relationships etc. In fact, witnessing a trauma such as those listed, even if you aren't directly experiencing it, can still cause PTSD. While these are all different causes, they will often share the same trauma response- re-experiencing the trauma in forms such as flashbacks and dreams, or avoidance of the trauma, being hypervigilant, having difficulties with relationships etc.

It's good that you've done some research into the symptoms of PTSD, though I understand it can be a lot to take in. It can be easy to minimise what we've experienced and think that others might have had it worse, but that doesn't dispute the fact that we may have experienced trauma and may now be experiencing PTSD.

I'm wondering if your therapist can diagnose, or refer you to someone who can? How would you feel about that? Would it make it more believable if you had a potential diagnosis confirmed?

I'm sorry your partner laughed it off. It is still, unfortunately, a commonly held belief that PTSD is only experience by those in the military and it can be difficult for others to imagine that other traumas can cause PTSD- especially if we are able to 'function' somewhat. It may be that your partner doesn't know much about PTSD or the causes and that may explain his reaction. But your therapist does know about PTSD, and you know what you've been through and how you can see the symptoms in yourself. I do agree with Sarah that those close to us may struggle to see us as anything beyond just 'us' which can be helpful when we don't want to be 'defined' by our diagnosis, but at the same time, can be a hinderance if we aren't taken seriously.

It might help to educate your partner on PTSD and how it affects you. Definitely worth talking to your therapist about how to engage with your partner and how you are struggling to come to terms with the potential PTSD.

I've been in a similar position. I've experienced sexual abuse when I was younger and was also bullied at school. I've seen two therapists and one other mental health professional and they all asked about flashbacks, and one therapist suggested PTSD. But I found it difficult to believe them, because I didn't think what I went through was 'that bad' and didn't experience symptoms all the time. Members of my family also thought that PTSD was only something you could get from being in the military. And at the same time, Asperger's/Autism is also in my family and I suspect I might have it, though I don't have a diagnosis. It's a weird position to be in and just because I suspect I might be autistic, I don't want to disregard previous therapists thoughts of PTSD either. So I acknowledge that I have been through trauma, and that I do find it helpful to get support based on that, regardless of whether I actually have PTSD or not.

Mentoring and Support Team Leader | Click here to volunteer