(#4 (permalink)) Old
Mallika Offline
HelpLINK Mentor

Regular TeenHelper

Name: Mallika

Points: 11,409, Level: 15 Points: 11,409, Level: 15 Points: 11,409, Level: 15

Re: I think I need help - April 2nd 2020, 09:37 AM

Hi there!

I can imagine how stifling it must feel, but it's very good that you have decided to open up here with us on TeenHelp! I think Everglow has already covered some great pointers. I'll share my thoughts on this too.

First and foremost, the fact that you have acknowledged that you feel this way is a big step. Because this means you can now work towards it. You can start this by telling yourself that life is too precious to come by and to be grateful for all the small things in life. Having a gratitude journal whereby you write down 2-4 things you are grateful for each day is a wonderful idea; there's a reason why it has been recommended by lifestyle mentors like Jay Shetty to psychologists. Here's a great link you can check out to get started: https://greatergood.berkeley.edu/art...titude_journal

Speaking of Jay Shetty, it would be good to tune into his podcasts - if you have an iPhone, there is an app whereby you can listen to his podcasts for free. It is always nice hearing someone else telling you words of wisdom in a relatable manner.

Why is gratitude so important? It makes our mind focus on the positives and makes us think less of the things that pull us down. It makes us realise that life is worth living. I know this is easier said than done, but with discipline, this will keep suicidal thoughts at bay till they completely disappear. This study done on 814 college students documented such a correlation: https://u.osu.edu/emotionalfitness/2...idal-ideation/

A great way to channelise more positivity into yourself is to dedicate time in the service of others. Volunteer work gives us meaning to life. That is something that will warm you up greatly from inside, so I'd encourage anyone to volunteer at a charity they are passionate about.

All said and done, you know your situation best. If you need a person to talk to or you need to seek professional help, don't be shy. If you go to school or college, a guidance counsellor will be the person to approach. They are generally approachable enough, so share your thoughts with them honestly for best support. If you wish to speak to someone other than a guidance counsellor, you might want to speak to a teacher. Also, like Everglow said, someone who thought wasn't interested might turn out to be a great listening ear. Give them a chance, sit with them and tell them that you have something important to say that concerns your own well-being.

Also, final tips from me: go out in the sun. In recent years, there has been substantial research suggesting how levels of vitamin D (from sunlight) can boost our mood. While there are many biological factors that are in the interplay, there's definitely no harm in giving yourself a boost of vitamin D - see the world with all its colours, go trekking, go to the beach, connect with nature. These will definitely give you some much-deserved peace. And please do exercise - there's a reason why people repeatedly go to the gym, working out makes us feel happy and gives us a strange satisfaction that we want to go through it again and again. In a study by Harvard University, exercise has been suggested to be as effective as drugs in fighting depression: https://www.health.harvard.edu/mind-...ght-depression

The Mighty is a wonderful online community to be part of for individuals fighting emotional battles and other psychological conditions. I was introduced to it when I was suffering with intrusive thoughts OCD, and it's uplifting to see so many people who are just like you giving support to one-another. You might want to check it out: https://themighty.com

Take care and do update us!
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.