(#4 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly
Pronouns: She/Her

Points: 57,786, Level: 34 Points: 57,786, Level: 34 Points: 57,786, Level: 34

Re: Braces! - May 29th 2020, 09:44 PM

I had braces between the ages of 15-16, and then retainers after that. I was worried about being bullied, since I was unpopular anyway, but no-one bullied me for it. I imagine that braces in adults may be less common, but I wouldn't think anyone would judge you for it. In fact, the technician where I had my braces fitted was herself wearing braces too. I think as well there are types of braces that are less visible, which you might want to check out if you are concerned.

Having braces was an interesting experience. Had x-rays taken first (I had over crowding and overlapping teeth) and then later had braces fitted. My mouth really ached the first couple of nights and it was weird getting used to them. Definitely invest in interdental toothbrushes to clean between the wires (I didn't and when my braces were taken off, you could see the marks beneath the wires but then the dentist cleaned my teeth up and they were fine after that). I had to go back every couple of months and they would tighten/adjust the wires. This meant that it would hurt again but it was only for a day or two. Eventually you really do just forget about them. Then came the elastic bands...I've forgotten the purpose but I would have an elastic band stretching from the top set of teeth to the bottom on both sides. That was fine but I'd recommend taking the bands out when eating because they can just snap and that's annoying. When I eventually had my braces removed, it felt very weird as I was so used to having braces. The downside was being fitted for a retainer. The mould thing was too big for my mouth and very uncomfortable. Definitely worth getting cleaning stuff for retainers (think it's similar stuff that cleans dentures). I wore retainers for years later but eventually stopped as I noticed the plastic at the back had started digging into my gum and irritating it.

Overall, the braces really helped my teeth and I'm really impressed by the results (though I did have bad teeth and had braces for free as a result). If your dentist is okay with it, and you want them and can afford them, then I see no problem.

Best of luck

Mentoring and Support Team Leader | Click here to volunteer